Reducing honey or maple syrup in a no-sugar cookie recipe

Reaction score
I tried a no-sugar recipe for chocolate chip cookies. It called for honey instead. Its other liquids are coconut oil and egg.
Result is too sweet for me which is no surprise.
Next time I want to cut the amount of sweeter in half, and maybe use maple syrup instead.
What liquid can substitute for the sweetener and keep the cookie dough the right consistency?
I seek the expertise of this forum's members. I joined so I could ask this question.

I'll also look on your threads for other low sugar cookie recipes. I have well-controlled type 2 diabetes. Love cookies. Hate artificial sweetness. Prefer a little natural sweetness.
Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
I tried a no-sugar recipe for chocolate chip cookies. It called for honey instead. Its other liquids are coconut oil and egg.
Result is too sweet for me which is no surprise.
Next time I want to cut the amount of sweeter in half, and maybe use maple syrup instead.
What liquid can substitute for the sweetener and keep the cookie dough the right consistency?
I seek the expertise of this forum's members. I joined so I could ask this question.

I'll also look on your threads for other low sugar cookie recipes. I have well-controlled type 2 diabetes. Love cookies. Hate artificial sweetness. Prefer a little natural sweetness.
Thank you in advance.

Diabetes runs in my family. I have two diabetic brothers who are on insulin. My grandfather dies of diabetes complications.

This is not a sugar free cookie.

Sugar is sucrose. Sucrose is Disaccharide, meaning it is constructive two sugar molecules. The two sugar molecules are: glucose and fructose.

Honey is a also a sugar. Honey it contains the disaccharide glucose and fructose, as well as 25 different oligosaccharides. Oligosaccharides are carbohydrates that are formed from monosaccharides (single sugar molecules).

Maple syrup is also a sugar. It is an invert sugar. An invert sugar is a sugar in which the disaccharide, glucose and fructose have been separated. This is done by heating the sugar with water. Since maple sap contains water, it is boiled until the sugar to water concentration is 67% to 34%

Reaction score
Knowing that honey and maple syrup are sugar, I summarize my original request.

If I cut the liquid sweetener by 2/3, what liquid should I substitute?

The goal is not sugar-free, only reduced-sugar. I prefer less-sweet, and my type-2 is well-controlled.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Hi! Agave-syrup can be used instead of honey I think. But that also contains sugars as far as I know! But better then the honey, I am sure!

Reaction score
Thank you, Nikoeta987.
Does anybody know what liquid (non sweetening) I can substitute for liquid maple syrup, honey, or agave. To have lower sugar and yet have the correct consistency and chemistry for baking?
Thank you.

Ask a Question