Replacement for Certain Ingredient?

Reaction score
I ran into this problem yesterday...I was about to make some banana bread but realized I didn't have any baking powder (and it was one of the required ingredients). I was trying to look around online to see what I can use to substitute the baking powder but everything I saw I didn't have at home either :/

What are some ingredients that you know you can swap for another if you don't have it? Any tips or suggestions you found out by yourself, or you got passed down from your mom/grandma?

Reaction score
I used butter instead of vevegetable oil in my brownies because I didn't have the oil. I have to say they were the best brownies ever and to this day, I use butter instead of oil'

Reaction score
Hi there! I was told you could also use baking soda as a replacement for baking powder, but to be honest I have never tried that. I'd not be surprised if it really worked tho, because baking soda can be used for a lot things!

Reaction score
I used butter instead of vevegetable oil in my brownies because I didn't have the oil. I have to say they were the best brownies ever and to this day, I use butter instead of oil'

I never use oil for anything in the kitchen, always use butter :) I just don't like the way things taste with vegetable oil, plus that thing often turns into trans fat that can clog your arteries, so watch out!

Reaction score
I also substitute butter for oil whenever I can get away with it. If I have to use oil and the recipe calls for vegetable oil, then I will use olive oil or coconut oil instead as these are much better for you.

Reaction score
I wonder what makes it so different. Maybe it's because the butter is creamier?

Hi there! I was told you could also use baking soda as a replacement for baking powder, but to be honest I have never tried that. I'd not be surprised if it really worked tho, because baking soda can be used for a lot things!
Thing is, the recipe called for BOTH baking soda and baking powder :(

Reaction score
Oh damn! That is odd! Baking soda can be used as baking powder, because it can also do the same job the baking powder does. Actually when I need to make hot cakes and we have no baking powder I use baking soda :) They puff up wonderfully :)

Reaction score
Oh damn! That is odd! Baking soda can be used as baking powder, because it can also do the same job the baking powder does. Actually when I need to make hot cakes and we have no baking powder I use baking soda :) They puff up wonderfully :)
Huh, then I wonder why one would need both baking soda AND baking powder! I wonder if it'll turn out the same if I just use one and not the other :/ I should've tried that haha my bad!

Reaction score
Yeah, my thought exactly :) Maybe whoever wrote that recipe got it wrong or maybe he or she was kinda playing a joke? Hehehehe! I can imagine a cake with those two ingredients would be really puffy :eek: Yummmy! But seriously, I really think those two are interchangeable.

Ask a Question