Vegan Baking: Substitute for Eggs

Reaction score
I have a niece who is now vegan and I normally make her a batch of rusks which contain two eggs. What substitute can I use and how much per egg.
Thank you very muich
M
x

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Mrs Mosey :)

You can get vegan egg substitutes which I've heard good things about, or you can also substitute egg for things like apple puree or a 'flax egg' (which is one tbsp milled flax seed with 2.5 tbsp water). My friend who is allergic to eggs often uses mashed banana in place of egg in cookie recipes.

The protein in eggs helps create the structure in baked goods, but eggs also act as thickeners and add liquid to what you're baking. It's worth bearing in mind that all of these replacements differ from eggs in terms of their key components - egg is high in protein and fat, apple puree and banana are both high in sugar, etc. Consequently each substitute works differently, so some may be better with some recipes than others.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Mrs Mosey :)

You can get vegan egg substitutes which I've heard good things about, or you can also substitute egg for things like apple puree or a 'flax egg' (which is one tbsp milled flax seed with 2.5 tbsp water). My friend who is allergic to eggs often uses mashed banana in place of egg in cookie recipes.

The protein in eggs helps create the structure in baked goods, but eggs also act as thickeners and add liquid to what you're baking. It's worth bearing in mind that all of these replacements differ from eggs in terms of their key components - egg is high in protein and fat, apple puree and banana are both high in sugar, etc. Consequently each substitute works differently, so some may be better with some recipes than others.

Hope this helps!
Thank you. I am going to try the unsweetened apple puree using tinned pie apples. Another question please. On the same line of vegan baking. My rusk recipe uses buttermilk so will try almond milk. Now I know one can make buttermilk adding lemon juice to milk but here is the silly question. Will it work with Almond milk!?

Reaction score
Now I know one can make buttermilk adding lemon juice to milk but here is the silly question. Will it work with Almond milk!?

Yep that should work. I tend to use non-dairy yogurt in those situations though, but that's more down to personal preference.

Ask a Question