Essential Kitchen Tools for Budget-Friendly Cooking and Baking

Reaction score
So I'm new here-obviously-so I figured with my first thread here, I should ask what things are just essential for me to have in my kitchen if I'm going to start baking and cooking properly? Keep in mind that I'm a poor student, so maybe keep it on the cheaper side of things? :p

Reaction score
A good set of mixing bowls
Measuring cups and spoons
A quality set of baking pans
and a nice hand mixer and mixing spoons

Reaction score
All-purpose flour (unbleached, if you can),
Regular white sugar,
Eggs,
Milk,
Baking powder (aluminum-free, if possible),
Baking soda,
Butter and/or cooking oil,
Vanilla extract,
Salt.
Can't think of any more that aren't too recipe specific.

Reaction score
I would suggest a set of silicone cake cases, these are perfect to re-use, especially if the majority of the bakes are going to be for yourself. It saves on buying paper cases each time you bake!

I make a lot of flapjack because I absolutely love the stuff, a silicone tray is perfect for this because the flapjack is much easier to get out if greased correctly :)

I picked a lot of my stuff up from ASDA and they are super cheap! I'm not sure where you are from but if you're from some where other than England, check your local Wall-Mart or Target. :)

Reaction score
A spatula (!!!!!), a few different sized mixing bowls, measuring cups, measuring spoons, a few different sized baking sheets, muffin tray, hand mixer, a whisk. I'm not sure where you live but I buy a bunch of my cooking supplies at Ross and TJ Maxx. They sell quality brands at a much lower price and I've had really good luck finding awesome things there for much cheaper!

Reaction score
A spatula (!!!!!), a few different sized mixing bowls, measuring cups, measuring spoons, a few different sized baking sheets, muffin tray, hand mixer, a whisk. I'm not sure where you live but I buy a bunch of my cooking supplies at Ross and TJ Maxx. They sell quality brands at a much lower price and I've had really good luck finding awesome things there for much cheaper!

Do you mean TK Maxx? I have never heard of TJ Maxx anywhere?

Reaction score
I would suggest a set of silicone cake cases, these are perfect to re-use, especially if the majority of the bakes are going to be for yourself. It saves on buying paper cases each time you bake!

I make a lot of flapjack because I absolutely love the stuff, a silicone tray is perfect for this because the flapjack is much easier to get out if greased correctly :)

I picked a lot of my stuff up from ASDA and they are super cheap! I'm not sure where you are from but if you're from some where other than England, check your local Wall-Mart or Target. :)
I actually picked up a set like this a ways back because they were sold as an giant oreo case. Quite interesting, but they're quite slim so not always the best for big cakes.

Thanks everyone by the way :) I'll be sure to pick some of this stuff up. Any others?

Reaction score
I got by with just the essentials until this last year when I finally had the means to "graduate." You can definitely make high quality baked goods with the essentials. Like everyone else has mentioned: a good set of mixing bowls, a silicone spatula (A MUST in my kitchen) and various sizes of baking sheets. I also highly suggest at least getting a hand mixer. It is so much easier to get lumps out of cake batter or mix cookies if you have one of those. Then, if you find you really do enjoy baking, I suggest investing in a stand mixer as soon as possible. Its great for baking but also great for cooking in general. It will be the best kitchen purchase you ever make, in my opinion.

Reaction score
I got by with just the essentials until this last year when I finally had the means to "graduate." You can definitely make high quality baked goods with the essentials. Like everyone else has mentioned: a good set of mixing bowls, a silicone spatula (A MUST in my kitchen) and various sizes of baking sheets. I also highly suggest at least getting a hand mixer. It is so much easier to get lumps out of cake batter or mix cookies if you have one of those. Then, if you find you really do enjoy baking, I suggest investing in a stand mixer as soon as possible. Its great for baking but also great for cooking in general. It will be the best kitchen purchase you ever make, in my opinion.
Why a silicone spatula over a wooden one, or any other kind if you don't mind my asking?

Reaction score
I am not sure why but it just works for me. It flexes unlike a wooden spatula so its great for scooping every little bit of cookie dough out of the bowl! When I use my mixer, I have to periodically stop it to scrape the bowl and the silicone spatula comes in handy for that too. It also makes smoothing icing easy. An off-set spatula will do that job too though. I also use silicone spatulas to spread pizza sauce. Its the only thing I've ever used that gets the sauce on there evenly.

Reaction score
I am not sure why but it just works for me. It flexes unlike a wooden spatula so its great for scooping every little bit of cookie dough out of the bowl! When I use my mixer, I have to periodically stop it to scrape the bowl and the silicone spatula comes in handy for that too. It also makes smoothing icing easy. An off-set spatula will do that job too though. I also use silicone spatulas to spread pizza sauce. Its the only thing I've ever used that gets the sauce on there evenly.
Well that certainly makes a lot of sense now that you've explained it like that. But the feel of a wooden one is just so much better in my eyes, you know?

Reaction score
I suppose for removing things from a bowl silicone one will do better because it flexes. Otherwise for all else I use wooden one though, I think it's more natural and somehow better for your cooking, May be it's just a superstition. My mom always told me to bake with wooden tools when I can.

Reaction score
I suppose for removing things from a bowl silicone one will do better because it flexes. Otherwise for all else I use wooden one though, I think it's more natural and somehow better for your cooking, May be it's just a superstition. My mom always told me to bake with wooden tools when I can.
If I remember correctly, at least in terms of cutting boards, the opposite is true. A wooden board is more likely to keep traces of the previous...occupants I guess I'll call them. So if you've cut meat on that board, there's a risk of contamination if you then cut something else using the same board. Maybe the same is true of tools etc?

Course, you'd have to think if there's a risk of contamination with what you're mixing I guess.

Ask a Question