Rhubarb Swiss Roll

Reaction score
Rhubarb is in season at the moment and I love to make the most of it. I made a rhubarb and custard cake recently (forgot to take photos though, oops!) and I've been thinking of how to use it in a dessert. Rhubarb crumble is an obvious choice, but it has been quite warm here recently and I always feel that hot, stodgy desserts are more of a cold-weather thing.

I decided to make a Swiss Roll with a rhubarb filling - nice and light, plus I can make it more 'dessert-like' by serving it with ice-cream (and maybe a bit of extra roasted rhubarb on top of that).

This is the recipe I'm going to use:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...o-bake-the-perfect-swiss-roll-felicity-cloake

For the filling I was just going to roast the rhubarb with a little sugar and vanilla and spread it on the cake when it has cooled before rolling it up.

I'll try to remember to take photos this time (!), and I'll be sure to report back how it goes!

Reaction score
As promised...

Hadn't realised how many bowls would be required... I'm always glad I've got a dishwasher!
swiss roll 1.jpg

The cooked coiled cake cooling :D
swiss roll 2.jpg

I cut the rhubarb into small pieces and roasted it in the oven with sugar for about 25 mins, then drained the syrup into a bowl. I spread most of the rhubarb across the cake once it had cooled, then rolled it back up and dusted with icing sugar
swiss roll 3.jpg

Served with ice-cream and the remaining rhubarb and syrup on top. Yummy!
swiss roll 4.jpg

The recipe was good, although I slightly overcooked the cake. I'm still trying to get used to my oven after I recalibrated it recently - the cake seemed cooked after 12 minutes, but it wasn't very browned on top so I gave it longer. I set my oven to 160C (fan) but I think it should have been 180C. Ah well, at least I know for next time! :)

Ask a Question