Substitute Rolling Pins - What Do You Use?

Reaction score
Recently, I read an article that said actual rolling pins do not have to be used while you are cooking. The article named substitute rolling pins, such as glass bottles. I usually use a plastic pestle when I flatten dough! What is your opinion on using substitute rolling pins? And, if you do use substitute rolling pins, what do you use?

Reaction score
Whatever gets the job done. For the tops of mini-pies, for example, I flatten the crust with the largest, widest, flattest serving spoon that I have. They're mini-pies in mini-tart pans, so you really couldn't tell the difference.

That said, I like to use rolling pins. They don't have to look like cartoon rolling pins, either, I've got one that was just a round stick about the width of a train handhold bar, made of wood--that does the job just fine. I'm sure there's lots of thought and design engineering that's gone on over centuries of culinary history to develop the perfect rolling pin but it's quite a simple thing. It's not like substituting... I don't know... baking powder (Baking soda does not work as substitute, it does not--I tried it for lemon-nutmeg pancakes thinking that the lemon would be acidic enough to make it make bubbles, do not do this, it only tasted like lemon soap, do not do this thing that I have done!)

I tried to think of an appliance that couldn't be substituted, but there are a lot of "life hacks" out there concerning baking...

Reaction score
My Mom used an old wine bottle for a rolling pin. She used it as is for most things, but if she was rolling a pie crust she would put ice water in it to help keep the dough cold. I have a wooden one and a Tupperware one the you can put ice cubes and water in for pastry dough. I like them both and use them often.

Reaction score
We just moved into a new place last year and I was forced to use alternative objects as my rolling pin got lost somewhere; it is probably still in a box in the garage that was mislabeled! I used a drinking glass, a jar, and even flattening dough the best I could by hand. I went out and bought a new rolling pin about a month ago!

Reaction score
Is there a difference between using an actual rolling pin and a substitute? I figure there would be none, but I'm curious.

Reaction score
Is there a difference between using an actual rolling pin and a substitute? I figure there would be none, but I'm curious.

That depends on the substitute. I said that for small top pie crusts I flatten it with a spoon instead of a rolling pin. Is there a difference between a spoon and a rolling pin? Of course there is. If you mean that I've imparted a slightly metallic taste or haven't gotten rid of all the air bubbles unlike a rolling pin that would flavor texture blah blah blah--I haven't noticed. Maaaybe a rolling pin provides a better grip, a more even texture, a more consistent size. But I haven't noticed: as long as it gets flat, I don't care.

Reaction score
I have a rolling pin because I found one cheap at Goodwill. But before that, I used anything from a tall drinking glass to bottles to flatten dough and it didn,t hurt the finished product.

Reaction score
My Mom used an old wine bottle for a rolling pin. She used it as is for most things, but if she was rolling a pie crust she would put ice water in it to help keep the dough cold. I have a wooden one and a Tupperware one the you can put ice cubes and water in for pastry dough. I like them both and use them often.

I like the idea of using a bottle that you can fill with ice water. That just makes sense. I'm still using the same rolling pin that I received as a shower present. It's nearly falling a part so might as well just go with a bottle! Thanks for the idea!

Reaction score
I was going to speak to the wine bottle as a baking hack. I remember my mom using whatever she could find for rolling, It was mostly bottles. Since I am baking more I have not had need for a rolling pin for anything I tried. However I know if I can't put my hand on one I have loads of substitutes.

Reaction score
I don't use a rolling pin anymore, I use a sheeter, lol... I don't know what I would do without a roller of some sort, I couldn't picture rolling fondant,pie crusts, pizza, pasta, ect without the sheeter now that it is in the kitchen, I give credit to anyone doing it without as much as a rolling pin, that is something indeed..
Over $2000 BUT one of the best items I ever bought for the kitchen... I can mix up some pasta dough, roll it out, spread some cheese/spinach on half of it fold it over, roll my ravioli rolling pin over it, cut the squares with the pastry wheel, all in about the time it takes for the water to boil on the stove! Or I can get my pizza crust so thin you can see through it, a nice light white pizza that will cook inside of 3 minutes!!! And don't get me started on fondant and the perfect cookies, even with a guided rolling pin I couldn't do as good as this machine...
IMG_0048_zpsdd3820b3.jpg

Reaction score
Jonjon1 , I suspect you are into baking in a serious way to invest in this piece of equipment. It sure looks and sounds like an interesting piece. However it not something I would consider right now. It would be wasted on me as I am now growing in the baking department.

Reaction score
I use that machine a lot, its mostly a time issue for me. I can get home at 6pm and my kids can be eating pizza before 7... With a rolling pin the dough moves around and rips if you rush it, plus its a lot of work, I just pop the dough ball through a couple times and you can make it what ever size you want in less than a minute...

PLUS it expands what you can do, like by hand I dont know anyone who can get uniform flat breads like that machine can make, they cook so evenly, I put the oven around 400 and cook them on the rack just flip them over after 45 seconds and within 2 minutes they are done, bag them up and have sandwich wraps all week... You can get a 12" RD hand roller for around $500 on ebay.
That was one of the first commercial kitchen machines I ever bought, I have sworn off of home equipment, if I buy something for the kitchen I make sure its commercial, I burnt out a bunch of food processors and mixers in the past years, now with the commercial stuff its seems to last forever and do a better job...

For instance my robot coupe r2n dice, it was $1500, BUT I will never have to buy another one, and it works like no other I have ever used, plus its so quiet and strong... 10 qt. planetary mixer, I burnt out a couple kitchen aids that were $500 each, so I went to the planetary mixer and its mixes anything I throw at it...

I do cook a lot, I haven't bought store bought pizza, bread, wraps, cakes, ice creams, pasta, ect in years... I even make my own ravioli 25 lbs at a time...

Reaction score
Wow, that sheeter looks like a serious productivity helper! I could not afford it though, so wine bottle it is. I think the water trick is brilliant, by the way!

Reaction score
I've used a glass bottle before I had a rolling pin. It was not fun, not very easy to hold onto and not long enough. I would not bother to do that again I think.

Reaction score
I don't know... I just can't get myself to trust in a glass bottle, they can break if you put too much pressure on them and that often happens when you are working with dough. Specially when you do the things I do.... (getting really thin dough to make buñuelos). A glass bottle can definitely break. I'd say... stick to wooden rolling pins!

Reaction score
I don't know... I just can't get myself to trust in a glass bottle, they can break if you put too much pressure on them and that often happens when you are working with dough. Specially when you do the things I do.... (getting really thin dough to make buñuelos). A glass bottle can definitely break. I'd say... stick to wooden rolling pins!
Yet there are glass floors that don't break and bullet proof glass. Glass can be as touch as you want it to be and a glass bottle that takes something fizzy has to be tough!
I would have no issues and have had no issues using a glass bottle as an improvised rolling pin to roll out pastry very thinly.

Reaction score
I don't know connie, I've heard of shot glasses giving up and just breaking on the lips of silly teens attempting the Kylie Jenner challenge, ever since I just don't trust glass. A risk is a risk, plus I like the feel of a wooden rolling pin :) To me it's more comfy, but I'd use a glass bottle if there was no other choice.

Ask a Question