Rookie here!!!

Reaction score
I was trying my hand at an easy bread recipe and overheated the milk which killed the yeast. I did not realize it until after an hour and a 1/2 waiting for the bread to rise. At this point, can I save it or is it garbage?

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, But if you’ve had no activity after an hour and a half chances are your bread is a goner

Reaction score
I appreciate your reply. Yesterday had been my 1st time baking bread alone. My husband who has baked bread many times was asleep. When he finally woke up after I posted my original message, he took a look and ask me if I proofed the yeast. The recipe I used did not call for that, and I did not know how to do it anyhow. However hubby showed me how to proof the yeast and subsequently we added that to my dough. An hour later it had doubled in size. Ultimately I have a loaf and 6 dinner rolls. They are far from perfect but in a cinch they would do!

Reaction score
I appreciate your reply. Yesterday had been my 1st time baking bread alone. My husband who has baked bread many times was asleep. When he finally woke up after I posted my original message, he took a look and ask me if I proofed the yeast. The recipe I used did not call for that, and I did not know how to do it anyhow. However hubby showed me how to proof the yeast and subsequently we added that to my dough. An hour later it had doubled in size. Ultimately I have a loaf and 6 dinner rolls. They are far from perfect but in a cinch they would do!

hahaha. well I’m glad you were able to get your dough revived. But you don’t actually have to proofed yeast. You can actually mix it directly into the flour. But the temperature of the liquid does matter. And if your milk was too hot, you could very well have killed the yeast. When yeast is dried about 25% of the yeast is killed. So you’re already starting with quite a bit of yeast in the package. And dried yeast is very sensitive to temperature, especially hot temperature. In cold temperature just goes dormant. But heat will kill it.

Ask a Question