Royal icing cookies

Reaction score
I have an idea if cookies I would like to make for Eid. Seen many recipes too for the icing but am stuck. How to go about the different icing consistencies for outline flooding and colours. I'm overwhelmed and mind boggled! Please help.

Reaction score
If you are decorating cookies, you will want an icing that is pretty firm. It should have quite a bit of butter in it so it will hold its shape. Do you have the tools you need to pipe it? If not, put the icing in a plastic ziplock bag and make a tiny snip on the corner and squeeze it out.

Could you show up some of the recipes you are looking at and maybe we can help you find which ones look like they would be best for the type of decrating you are wanting to do?

Reaction score
Oh my, those camel cookies are absolutely gorgeous! I hope you have already been able to pick the right icing for you. Looking forward to seeing a picture of your cookies :D

Reaction score
I'm going to do Haniela recipe as she has a youtube channel lots of tutorials. I'll post pics, erm assuming they are worthy of sharing!

Reaction score
I do not like to use royal icing on cookies because it gets too crunchy for me. It basically turns into a hard creamy candy on the cookie and I never have cared much for it. I like to make buttercream frosting and decorate the cookies with that, and then just make sure they are stored in single layers. I do not have any fancy icing piping bags, so I do the cut a tiny whole in the bottom corner of a Ziplock bag method!

Reaction score
Hi all!

So I did make my camel cookies and they turned out rather good if I do say so myself. It was so much fun decorating although quite time consuming but really did enjoy this it.

So here they are and what do you think?

Reaction score
Hi all!

So I did make my camel cookies and they turned out rather good if I do say so myself. It was so much fun decorating although quite time consuming but really did enjoy this it.

Wow, I've only just seen this now - they look awesome! Good work! :D

How long did they take to do?

Reaction score
The actual royal icing decorating took most part of a day, I had to wait for things to dry in between.

Reaction score
Hi all!

Wow, great job. What did you end up using to pipe the icing on? I used to have disposable bags, so I wouldn't have to worry about cleaning them, but I'm a little more cost conscious these days. I haven't used royal icing in years, but I know it's durable. I hope everyone enjoyed the cookies!

Reaction score
Hi Diane

I used zip lock freezer bags, I had so many colours so that was the easiest thing as I only have one re usable piping bag.

It was fun to do and everyone loved them but I think I will stick to cakes and plain biscuits

Reaction score
WOW!!! those cookies look great!!! I've only done one kind and it was just one color but still such a pain. Props to you for doing such a great job!!!

Reaction score
They turned out amazing! I'm also going to be trying a royal icing recipe next weekend I really hope it turns out as great as yours!

Ask a Question