Rumchata Cheesecake

Reaction score
I found a great recipe for a rumchata cheesecake (delish.com). I am wondering what happens to alcohol when it is cooked in a cake, and how safe would it be for a child to have? Thanks.

Reaction score
I found a great recipe for a rumchata cheesecake (delish.com). I am wondering what happens to alcohol when it is cooked in a cake, and how safe would it be for a child to have? Thanks.
It's very volatile, alcohol vaporizes off as it gets warm.

Reaction score

The assumption that alcohol is very volatile and it all burns off is not based in science.

The US Department of Agriculture conducted cooking tests using alcohol them measured the residual alcohol.

While water boils at 212°F (at sea level) alcohol boils at 173°F. So the burn off rate is determined by how long and the temperature the food is cooked. Below is some of the data collected from the government.

Preparation Method & Percent Retained

Alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat: 85% retained

Alcohol flamed: 75% retained

No heat, stored overnight: 70% retained

Baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture: 45%

Baked/simmered dishes with alcohol stirred into mixture:
  • 15 minutes cooking time: 40%
  • 30 minutes cooking time: 35%
  • 1 hour cooking time: 25%
  • 1.5 hours cooking time: 20%
  • 2 hours cooking time: 10%
  • 2.5 hours cooking time: 5%
I have a family member who is a recovery drinkthe As part of their sobriety they do not consume any products with alcohol including foods and baked goods. So I never serve any baked goods with alcohol to that person or the children in the family because the alcohol does not fully evaporate.

Ask a Question