Runny cheesecake

Reaction score
Two times I’ve tried a baked cheesecake and both times it came out runny in the middle. This second time I baked it as long as the recipe said and the top was evening browning on the edges. So I took it out and let it sit for a couple of hours and then put it in the refrigerator. Cut into it and AGAIN the middle was runny and seemed maybe it was raw. What am i doing wrong? I’ve tried the water bath before too and the water seeped into the pan and ruined the cheesecake. I give up!

Reaction score
Two times I’ve tried a baked cheesecake and both times it came out runny in the middle. This second time I baked it as long as the recipe said and the top was evening browning on the edges. So I took it out and let it sit for a couple of hours and then put it in the refrigerator. Cut into it and AGAIN the middle was runny and seemed maybe it was raw. What am i doing wrong? I’ve tried the water bath before too and the water seeped into the pan and ruined the cheesecake. I give up!

Cheesecake is a custard. To set you need protein denaturalization in the egg to happen which does not occur until the batter is heated to about 150°F (65°C).

You cannot judge from the external color of the cheesecake. You need to check the internal temperature of the cheesecake to ensure it is at least 150°F (65°C). If you do not want to mar the center of the cake with a thermometer check, insert the thermometer sideways into the cake that rises above the rim of the pan. You need to get a reading as close to the center of the cake as possible.

Alternatively, you can use a low heat and a long bake cheesecake recipe and you won’t have to check the internal temperature. My favorite recipe bakes at 275°F for 90 minutes. The cheesecake then cools in the oven for about 1 1/2 hrs. It’s not the most convenient recipe, but it produces a perfect cheesecake every time. It’s creamy, flovorful, and it never cracks. I’ve used this recipe since it was first published in the Washington Post 14 yrs ago. I’ve tried other recipes, but I keep coming back to this filling. I do my own crust because I’m gluten free and even if I could eat gluten, I hate graham cracker crust.

Bain Marie is used to insulate the cake from heat. Water boils at 212°F (at sea level), then turns to steam. Cheesecake pans contain a lot of volume, so they require a lot of bake time. The oven temperature is generally 350°F, and the bake time over an one hour this results in a batter expose to the hot air on top and in contact with the pan to dry out. Since water only heats to 212°F it keeps the temperature around the cheesecake lower. Also as the water evaporates it provides humidity in the oven chamber.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/orange-cheesecake/7335/

Reaction score

Yeh, theres the problem right there.
Springforms aren't designed to be used in the oven. !
Use any regular cake pan and then just water bath it.
Grease and flour or graham crust the bottom of the pan.
If you're nervous put a parchment disk on the bottom.
Theres no way it won't come out if chilled completely after baking.
Warm the bottom of the mold on the stove before putting parchment paper on top, then a tray or plate big enough to contain it and flip it over, lift the mold off and flip it back onto your serving plate.

Ask a Question