Rye Bread Recipe

Spi

Reaction score
hello there..
in all my years of baking i constantly being asked how to make Rye bread hard from the outside but very soft in the inside and have beautiful bubbles inside.. well i'm posting this here so everybody get the benefit from the recipe i'd like to share.

first of all the ingredients are :
- 15 gr Salt
- 10 gr Yeast
- 150 gr Rye flour (30%) (because anything more than that becomes very hard to work with)
- 350 gr white strong flour
- 440 gr Water

first pure the water in a bawl (not all of it) about 300 gr, then put the two kinds of flour then the yeast and salt but make sure they are separated because the salt kills the yeast and we don't want that to happen.. then mix the ingredients in the mixer for 5 minutes at slow speed then increase speed for additional 7 minutes. shape the dough to a ball and cover and let rest for 2 hours.
after 2 hours cut the dough in half (about 430 gr each) shape each one to a ball and let proof for 20 minutes.
after its done give it a final shaping and let it lest for 1 hour on flour under it. after one hour cut the dough with a blade so it grows up evenly and put in the oven for 40 min at 250 c/ 482 f .
and that's it here you have one the testiest pieces of bread in my opinion.
give it a try and tell me what you think.. any questions i'd love to answer anywhere (here or on my YouTube video link down).

thanks for taking the time and reading it hope you like it :)

YouTube video link:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you! Your bread looks so beautiful and delicious, love the way it looks on the outside specially. Thanks a lot for sharing, love your videos, loves your technique, it looks so professional :) Are you a baker by profession?

Spi

Reaction score
Thank you! Your bread looks so beautiful and delicious, love the way it looks on the outside specially. Thanks a lot for sharing, love your videos, loves your technique, it looks so professional :) Are you a baker by profession?
Thank You so much :).. no actually i'm not a baker but i took a lot of courses for baking and cooking and i just love doing it! you can say its a hobby and i love it :)

Reaction score
That's the exact way I like my bread - a nice, crunchy outside, but deliciously soft inside! Sounds like just what I would be after. I haven't ventured into bread making yet, but would you say it's easy enough for a bread making novice like myself?

Spi

Reaction score
That's the exact way I like my bread - a nice, crunchy outside, but deliciously soft inside! Sounds like just what I would be after. I haven't ventured into bread making yet, but would you say it's easy enough for a bread making novice like myself?
in my opinion, it becomes easy once you get the hang of the method because almost all kinds of bread have almost the exact method with just little changes.. so you have to at least try and make something and see the results and according to the result you make your changes in method and recipe then it becomes easy.. hope this answers your question. and Thank U.

Ask a Question