Sad today..........

Reaction score
We just found out that our mini schnauzer has a mass in his lung and the other lung is filled with fluid. The vet said it is bad and there isn't anything they can do. He says he will probably live another 1 to 2 weeks. :(
My daughter has a chronic illness and he has been like a therapy dog for her for the last few years. We've had him since she was 3. She is devastated!!! :(
My son left for basic this week and didn't get to say goodbye to him because our dog was at the vet.
Sigh! :(
Just had to share............

Reaction score
I'm so sorry you are going through such a rough time! What a range of emotions you must be experiencing between your son leaving and the news of your precious dog. My little dog is my my world. We treat her like she's our daughter. I can only imagine the devastation your family must be going through! My thoughts are with you! Hang in there! You have a community within this forum that cares about you! My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

Reaction score
Aw! Smiewis00 you made me cry! Thank you for your caring words! We are actually going to have to put him down today. Hardest decision we've ever had to make. He won't eat - and he is diabetic - so we can't give him insulin. He is getting so skinny. He will still drink but he lays on the couch all day and the "Dutch" we used to know just isn't there anymore. He just can't get comfortable when he lies down. We are heartbroken but we know it is best. Sigh!!! :(

Reaction score
I'm so sorry you are going through that. My daughter and I have a rat terrier named Stefano and he's the first dog we've ever had. (We're cat people but he needed a home.)
We love the little guy like a family member, so I can only imagine what you are going through.

The only comforting though I guess about letting Dutch go is that he won't be in pain anymore. I wish I could give you a hug.

Reaction score
Thanks ACSAPA!! :) We put him down yesterday and it was sad but we all felt better afterwards knowing he wasn't suffering anymore. Our vet was so nice! He said they are a blessing in our lives for a time and when they've done their job then it is time for them to go. It was such a nice thing to say. It is so nice to know we don't have to watch
him suffer anymore. But, this morning I keep expecting to see him on his favorite spot on the couch.
It is snowing pretty hard today and I thought to myself that I was glad he didn't have to worry about going out in that!

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. Our furry friends add so much joy to our lives. I am also sorry that so much is happening at once: your son leaving for basic training, having to say goodbye to your dog, etc.
Hang in there and take care.

Reaction score
Thanks so much! It has been quite a bit at once! So glad that God helps us through these times! I sure couldn't do it on my own!
We are doing ok with our dog's passing. I think it helped that we had the time to say goodbye and also to be here with him
at the end (that part was hard and comforting at the same time).
Thanks for your kind words! :)

Reaction score
So Sorry for your loss. I hope that your family can remember and recover such a sweet companion. I hope that things get better for your family.

Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss. It is never easy when we lose a beloved family member and there really are no words that are adequate for you right now.

Remember the good times that you had with him and that will make the adjustment of losing him easier.

Reaction score
Thanks! :) every day seems to be better. Yesterday we were at the vet and a lady had a little schnauzer, a white one (!) and it came over to me and was nuzzling my cheek and then without me doing anything it jumped into my lap! It was like it knew I needed a hug! It was so sweet and it made me cry but in a good way! :)

Reaction score
I send my condolences and blessing. My older son has been through the loss of two beloved dogs over the last few years, and have several waiting for me in heaven. Dogs can be the dearest of friends. Cats and other pets can also be dear friends.

Reaction score
I was so sad to read about your poor dog, at least he isn't suffering any more but you must be missing him like crazy. Thinking of you and your family xxx

Reaction score
Thanks! :) every day seems to be better. Yesterday we were at the vet and a lady had a little schnauzer, a white one (!) and it came over to me and was nuzzling my cheek and then without me doing anything it jumped into my lap! It was like it knew I needed a hug! It was so sweet and it made me cry but in a good way! :)
I was just writing about innate goodness on another forum, and I mentioned that dogs are known to be caring and moral animals. The "American Indians" spoke of Dog People, and I know that my dog companion is a (dog) person. The lights are on and somebody is home. They know and care when we need a friend. Altruism is a characteristic of the breed.

Ask a Question