Salara

Reaction score
Another kind of sweet bread from my culture is called Salara. It's basically a sweet bread dough, rolled with sweet coconut shavings and with a bit of food colouring to add a wow factor. The colouring is usually either red or green, but I like it blue! When you cut into the bread it comes out in beautiful swirls and it tastes even better than how it looks! They look like this:

http://www.bearskitchen.com/Coconut Salara1.jpg

(for some reason I can't add in the image itself right now, I apologize for that)

Reaction score
That reminds me of something from my childhood. It was a sweet bread we call "nutbread" but it had the swirls of either crushed nuts or....poppy seeds???? I think thats what I remember. I would love to get the recipe for any of these...I am guessing it is similar to the salara.

Reaction score
Looks really tasty Preya.

To me this picture brought to my mind the traditional Swiss roll, but Salara seems to be more creamy.

Reaction score
That reminds me of something from my childhood. It was a sweet bread we call "nutbread" but it had the swirls of either crushed nuts or....poppy seeds???? I think thats what I remember. I would love to get the recipe for any of these...I am guessing it is similar to the salara.
Nut bread you say? That seems pretty cool, I feel like I've had something like that before. Would you have the crushed nuts mixed with some honey? I've never tried poppy seeds, because I decided that I wouldn't like it based on the name when I was younger. :oops: It seems like there are many cultural versions of what we call Salara.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack Sr

Latest Threads