Salty Cakes or Sweet Cakes?

Reaction score
Whenever we talk about cakes, we think of those wonders made with sugar, whipped cream and perhaps chocolate or other sweet involved in their confection.

However, what about salty cakes? I remember my grandmother proud of baking a chicken tarts that I still miss, but she never disclosed the recipe.

Even though, I have many salty cakes recipes, some of which I have tried, and some others I would like to try out of curiosity, like an Aztec cake that is not made with wheat flour as expect to be a cake, either salty or sweet, but made of corn tortillas and still baked.

What do you think of this? Do you like salty or sweet? Any salty cake that you can name or have baked?

Reaction score
I would love to try some hearty and not so sweet cakes. You have me curious as to the Aztec cake. I also wonder what you mean by a chicken tart? Are these pot pies?

Reaction score
Yes justusforus, my grandma's chicken tart was a kind of pot pie, but rather to be encased by a flaky crust, it was baked using British pasty instead.

As for the Aztec cake, it is allegedly claimed to be a sort of lasagna, but since it doesn't include any pasta, I wouldn't consider that way,but sort of a pot pie despite there is not pie crust, just layered tortillas that baked with liquid ingredients take the shape of a pie or cake

This seems to be the best matching English recipe of the original Aztec Pie eaten in Mexico, from where this cake comes from, http://itacatemexicancook.blogspot.mx/2012/03/chicken-aztec-cake.html

Reaction score
I do love salty and savory deserts, but as far as cakes go specifically I tend to prefer them sweet. I do think that a lot of people tend to go really overboard on the sweetness, though. There is a line to cross between delicious and sickeningly sweet.

Reaction score
Yes, I'm not really enthusiast of sweets but when it comes to desserts certainly these types of cakes are my choice, but many times people tend to cross such boundary line in the belief that the more sweetener added the most tasty but with abominable results, sadly.

Reaction score
I would give a salty cake a try,If done just right, anything can be good. Of course, it would have to have all the right combinations, and flavorings. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with all the sweetness sometimes. Some salt would surely spice things up a bit.

Reaction score
Whenever we talk about cakes, we think of those wonders made with sugar, whipped cream and perhaps chocolate or other sweet involved in their confection.

However, what about salty cakes? I remember my grandmother proud of baking a chicken tarts that I still miss, but she never disclosed the recipe.

Even though, I have many salty cakes recipes, some of which I have tried, and some others I would like to try out of curiosity, like an Aztec cake that is not made with wheat flour as expect to be a cake, either salty or sweet, but made of corn tortillas and still baked.

What do you think of this? Do you like salty or sweet? Any salty cake that you can name or have baked?
I like the sweet cakes myself. I've never tried baking a salty cake. This sounds like a great idea, though.

Reaction score
I am a fan of sweet cakes.

I only recently saw salty, meaty cakes while watching TV. Shows such as Cupcake Wars highlighted them.

The closest I get to anything salty is adding a salty food as a topping. See example below.

Salted-Caramel-Chocolate-Cupcakes-3.jpg

Reaction score
I never thought of salty cakes, before. I need to add a section to my recipe box, because I am highly intrigued. I love sweets myself. Although, on occasion I like to mix a little salty with sweet.

Reaction score
I am a fan of sweet cakes.

I only recently saw salty, meaty cakes while watching TV. Shows such as Cupcake Wars highlighted them.

The closest I get to anything salty is adding a salty food as a topping. See example below.

Salted-Caramel-Chocolate-Cupcakes-3.jpg

Well I am on the sweets side, too, if I had to pick but those do look amazing! I was going to add, salted caramel things are an exception....pretzels and chocolate hadn't even occurred to me when the topic came up.

Reaction score
I think i would opt for sweet over salty on any given day as i suffer from hypertension so tend to stay away from salty dishes ; i do have a few pretzels on occasions though.

Reaction score

I've never tasted salty cake. Do you have any recipes for making any? I'd like to break it down to one or two servings and give it a try.

Reaction score
I cannot make up my mind I really enjoy both. For me that is like asking if I like dinner or dessert better.

Reaction score
I have never had a salty cake before. I've always had my cakes sweet (even the ones that have a hint of saltiness to it, majority of the cake itself is still sweet) so I have a really hard time wrapping my head around a salty cake. Is it different by region? Or maybe by country?

Reaction score
Hmmm, the closest I ever come to salt cakes are savory muffins and stuffing. I have always thought of cake as the dessert to top off a good meal. I could see how this might be an interesting side dish to a dinner though.

Reaction score

Very nice and interesting post! I must say that, overall, I prefer sweet over salty/savory cakes. My favorite savory cake is the chicken pot pie, which is delectable, creamy and rich, in every way.
However, I must give the edge to sweet cakes, because truly, when I envision desserts, my mind quickly runs to the tastiest and most tantalizing sweet treats that I have ever enjoyed. I guess it might be because I tend to have a "sweet tooth", but I really do just love the sugar-rush that it gives. However, that doesn't mean that I enjoy desserts that are too sweet. I actually find those to be quite off-putting, because the excessive sweetness becomes overpowering, and just overwhelms the good taste of the dessert.
But, if you ask me, I'll say sweet desserts any time!

Reaction score
I don't remember trying salty cakes but hey, I'm up for the challenge!! I even say a sweet & salty cake is worth a try.

Reaction score
Sweet. I very much prefer sweet things over salty things when it comes to pastries, but I also have a soft spot for salty pies and pastries, not a huge fan of them tho, but I like them. My favorite sweet cake is with no doubt the carrot cake... yummy!

Ask a Question