Sans Rival cake

Reaction score
I don't know how to translate the name but it is called Sans Rival cake. I know that it is a French term to mean no rival, the best, or something like that. It is made of egg white, butter, cashes bits and some other ingredients that I don't remember. It is a sort of delicacy here that is now available in bake shops and sometimes even in supermarkets. What I like in sans rival is the crunchy crust that is made of egg white. And for nut lovers, the topping of cashew bits will surely make your day. By the way, here is the picture of the sans rival I bought in a bake shop last weekend.
IMG_3637 sans rival.jpg

Fae

Reaction score
I was watching either Cooks Country or America's Test Kitchen and saw a layer cake similar to this one. They made it of meringue rectangles, then layered them with a type of creme filling and covered the whole thing in chocolate and hazelnuts. The intent for that cake was to let it sit for awhile so that the crispy meringue would sit awhile, absorb moisture, and take on a more cake-like consistency.

Do you know if they mean for this cake to stay crunchy, and so be eaten soon after its made? It's interesting that someone (probably multiple someones) got the bright idea to turn pavlovas into cakes though!

Reaction score
It reminds me a bit of a popular dessert in Australia called pavlova, which is fully meringue based (it doesn't have the cake component, but it's delicious!)

19217_l.jpg

Ask a Question