Tips for Perfect Sausage Rolls

Reaction score
So I often make sausage rolls but I'd like to improve my recipe, anyone got ideas on these?

Should I cook the mince pork in any way before cooking? (I ask because sometimes the pastry will cook faster than the meat)

How can I make the mixture softer? (sometimes it's a bit hard, should I add fat? What type of fat? how?)

And also... any way to stop the pastry sticking to the baking paper? (is this because of the egg wash?

Saludos!

Reaction score
I haven't made sausage rolls in a while, but I quite like making it using sausage meat rather than minced pork. I pick some sausages I really like and squeeze them out of the skins. I don't think I've ever heard of the sausage meat being cooked before adding it, but you could make sure that it is at room temperature to help it cook quicker in the oven. It's nice with some herbs added into the sausage meat - thyme in particular works really well with pork.

Reaction score
I would normally do the same, but sausages in Mexico are not nice for sausage rolls and what I understand as "sausade meat" isn't available on sale, so I need to do everything from scratch and minced pork seemed the best option

I also like thyme with them!

Reaction score
I would normally do the same, but sausages in Mexico are not nice for sausage rolls and what I understand as "sausade meat" isn't available on sale, so I need to do everything from scratch and minced pork seemed the best option

I also like thyme with them!

Ah ok. In that case I'd try and replicate sausage meat as closely as you can - I can't recommend any specific recipes, but have a look online and see what you can find. I would have thought that would lead to a better flavour and texture for the sausage rolls :)

Reaction score
Unfortunately online I haven't found great recipes - perhaps I should be looking for a "sausage meat" recipe rather than sausage rolls, I'm gonna check that out and let y'all know how I get on

The ones I made last week were nice- though the meat was a bit crumbly and not a smooth sausage as it should be. But it tasted great and that's the most important!

Reaction score
I make sausage rolls and make my own sausage meat. I use diced pork with some pork fat, put this through a mincer twice then add any other ingredients you fancy along with some breadcrumbs, I usually add some sage, onion, apple and for Christmas some cranberries.
Give this a try and see how you go.

Reaction score
Unfortunately online I haven't found great recipes - perhaps I should be looking for a "sausage meat" recipe rather than sausage rolls, I'm gonna check that out and let y'all know how I get on

The ones I made last week were nice- though the meat was a bit crumbly and not a smooth sausage as it should be. But it tasted great and that's the most important!

The sausage mix used to make them in England is not just ground pork with spice.
I was a butchers apprentice when I was 16 in England, the shop specialized in sausages, they added starch to absorb the juice when cooked, the pork mix was run through a buffalo chopper to produce a very smooth paste.

To use italien style pork sausage filling you can process it with a simple panade until its a smooth paste.
Panade is just white bread that is soaked with milk or water, it lightens the pork, eliminates the rubbery texture.
Look at this aussie woman doing it, she's got it right and notice her pork sausage meat is not chunky, its processed to be smooth. Run yours through a processer or keep grinding it until smooth.

Ask a Question