Savory Bakes

Discussion in 'Baker Banter' started by NThomas, Oct 10, 2013.

1. NThomas

NThomas Well-Known Member

Everyone likes to bake, sweet cookies, cakes, and pies but what about savory baking? Do you do any savory baking , what do you like to bake ?

NThomas, Oct 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. NThomas

Christine Mlinek Well-Known Member

I like a good savory bread, but not too much in a cake. I am a sweet cake person

Christine Mlinek, Oct 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. NThomas

JessiFox Well-Known Member

I love eating savory foods and even desserts with savory elements but I must admit I haven't yet taken my baking in that direction.

JessiFox, Oct 11, 2013
  4. NThomas

zlemune Well-Known Member

Does garlic bread count?

Just kidding :)

The only savory baking I've tried were some cheese and chive muffins. I had some from a local bakery and they were really, really good. So when I had some extra chives I gave it a shot myself, but they were not as good :/

zlemune, Oct 11, 2013
  5. NThomas

justusforus Well-Known Member

Yum...yes those count zlemune. I haven't had it in years, but used to make a stuffed bread (with pepperoni). Sort of like a calzone, but the pepperoni was cooked in the bread.

I think a decadent focaccia with meats, cheeses and veggies would be considered savory. I also want to master an entirely made from scratch pot pie with stew beef, vegetables and SAVORY gravy.

justusforus, Oct 12, 2013
  6. NThomas

NThomas Well-Known Member

I love baking savoy breads. I enjoy adding cheese and fresh herbs to bread dough to dress up traditional boring loaves. Stuffing bread is also something I like to do. I like to roll out the dough to as flat as possible, then put in the stuffing. You can use whatever you like for stuffing , try meats , cheese, broccoli ,sun dried tomato's. Next roll the bread in to a loaf and let it rise again , place in pan and bake.

NThomas, Oct 15, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question