Scazzetta del Cardinale (strega)

Reaction score
I'm thinking I might make scazzetta del cardinale for my dad (his grandma was from Italy and taught him to bake) for his birthday. I looked through the ingredients for my list. Most of them really every day and I have them around except for Strega liquor for the soaking syrup.

Now, I love liquors in baking (and otherwise) so I wouldn't mind adding to our collection. But I have two small kids and don't know if I should add 1/4 cup of liquor to the cake. It doesn't appear that the recipe calls for cooking the liquor, though I have heard that alcohol "bakes out" is a myth. I did think about cooking the liquor a bit anyway if it's not a myth.

Can anyone think of a good substitute for this? It's a strawberry cream sponge cake.

Reaction score
I looked that up, and it says it's an herbal liquor...........mint, anise, juniper, fennel, and saffron. Wow, that seems a bit strong.

Hmmmmm, I'm not much of an expert on alcohol history or matching, but whatever the strongest flavor is in this liquor, I would assume you could use a flavoring of the same. For example, if the strongest flavor that comes through in this liquor is anise, then maybe use anise flavoring in your soaking syrup....if it's mint, then use mint flavoring.

As far as kids go, that much alcohol used for cake flavoring isn't going to do any harm. I would think they may not like the cake if it has alcohol in it anyway, as kids usually find anything with alcohol in it "yucky". But I understand if you don't want them having any alcohol at all.

I might suggest making a bit extra batter and make smaller, muffin sized cakes for the kids. Make a big cake for the adults, then you don't have to worry about kids having alcohol in the cake.

Or, if you are going to have several people at the party, make one "soaked" cake with the liquor, and one "soaked" cake with a nice flavoring of your choice. That way, anyone who wants cake with no liquor in it has a choice. And the kids can have a nice chunk of cake without the alcohol in it also.

Hope that helps.:D

Reaction score
I looked that up, and it says it's an herbal liquor...........mint, anise, juniper, fennel, and saffron. Wow, that seems a bit strong.

Hmmmmm, I'm not much of an expert on alcohol history or matching, but whatever the strongest flavor is in this liquor, I would assume you could use a flavoring of the same. For example, if the strongest flavor that comes through in this liquor is anise, then maybe use anise flavoring in your soaking syrup....if it's mint, then use mint flavoring.

As far as kids go, that much alcohol used for cake flavoring isn't going to do any harm. I would think they may not like the cake if it has alcohol in it anyway, as kids usually find anything with alcohol in it "yucky". But I understand if you don't want them having any alcohol at all.

I might suggest making a bit extra batter and make smaller, muffin sized cakes for the kids. Make a big cake for the adults, then you don't have to worry about kids having alcohol in the cake.

Or, if you are going to have several people at the party, make one "soaked" cake with the liquor, and one "soaked" cake with a nice flavoring of your choice. That way, anyone who wants cake with no liquor in it has a choice. And the kids can have a nice chunk of cake without the alcohol in it also.

Hope that helps.:D
That's a good idea! Maybe I'll double the sponge and make the girls strawberry cupcakes.

I asked my husband if he had ever had Strega since he spent six months studying in Italy. He said he's stuck to grappa and limoncello because a lot of Italian liqueurs were "too much pine" for him. I'm wondering if Strega may meet the definition because of the juniper. I mean, I'll go weird (for American tastes) on my own but it isn't for me. He suggested it might be good with an orange liqueur we have.

Reaction score
You're right that the alcohol doesn't bake off, but I wouldn't have thought that the small amount per slice would do kids any harm. They might not like the bitter taste though. You can get things like rum flavouring if you want a slightly alcohol-y flavour without actual alcohol :)

I've never had Scazzetta del Cardinale before but it sounds delicious! Let us know how it goes - we always love photos too :D

Reaction score
You're right that the alcohol doesn't bake off, but I wouldn't have thought that the small amount per slice would do kids any harm. They might not like the bitter taste though. You can get things like rum flavouring if you want a slightly alcohol-y flavour without actual alcohol :)

I've never had Scazzetta del Cardinale before but it sounds delicious! Let us know how it goes - we always love photos too :D

Thanks! I'll post after I've made it. I'm trying to figure out when I'll see my dad after I haven't had to work. That way I can time the recipe to make it right! I'll ask him when I can make his cake when he comes by in a couple days.

I make everyone's cakes. Lol they take it for granted.

Reaction score
Finally made this cake! My glaze is too thin but I guess it'll be a baked cake and that's fashionable. The pan di spanga was the hardest part. My first try fell. We will see how it tastes tomorrow!

I put one in before glazing because it looked yummy as it was.

Attachments

• IMG_3899.JPG
    IMG_3899.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_3900.JPG
    IMG_3900.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_3898.JPG
    IMG_3898.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 425
Reaction score
Thanks! It was! Light and perfect for spring. I dressed it up with some stabilized whipped cream. I figured it was already not traditional and took it further.

Attachments

• IMG_3903.JPG
    IMG_3903.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_3904.JPG
    IMG_3904.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 412

Ask a Question