Scented??

Reaction score
What’s the difference between a cake being lemon scented vs lemon flavored?! I can’t find anything definitive

L

Leaha Leaha

What’s the difference between a cake being lemon scented vs lemon flavored?! I can’t find anything definitive
Hi! Scent is associated with smell and flavor is associated with taste. I would like to think that scent is usually paired with things that are inedible and flavor for things that are edible. For example you’d say, “lemon scented perfume or a lemon flavored cake.” Now, being that we’re talking about cakes, if a cake has a lemony “scent”, it’s because of the lemon flavoring, juice and/or zest. I hope that helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score

No such definitions in baking. I think people just make stuff up to try to make a recipe sound charming. When a zest, extract, artificial flavor, flavor emulsion, or oil is added, it will impart both flavor and scent. There is no way to add these and eliminate one characteristic. Moreover, scent and taste are connected.

Adding the juice of something rarely adds flavor or scent. Fruit juice is mainly water, so does not contain the sufficient volatile compounds to withstand baking.

Ask a Question