Scones

Reaction score
I love scones, chocolate chip scones, plain scones, cheese scones (sadly I can't have them anymore but I can still make them for others), fruit scones, vegan scones... the options are only limited by your imagination.

The basic sweet recipe is as follows and makes 8-9 scones:

Ingredients
250g all purpose flour (self raising if you are in the UK)
75g butter (non-salted is better but its not the end of the world if it is has salt in it) or a dairy free marg if needed
1 teaspoon baking powder
75g fine sugar (not powdered sugar though, caster sugar if in the UK)
75g fruit/chocolate/or just omit for plain
1 egg (just omit for vegan!)

Instructions
Heat the oven to 425F (220C or Gas 7-8)
Mix the flour with the baking powder and then add the butter (chopped and/or softened) and mix until breadcrumbs.
Add the sugar and mix in the fruit/chocolate chips/anything else....
In a measuring jug, whisk the egg with enough milk (or milk substitute) to make 150ml of mik/egg mixture.
If making vegan scones use a suitable milk alternative and aim to use around the same volume of milk - you may not need it all!
Now slowly mix in enough of the egg/milk mixture to form a medium firm dough and kneed it for a moment or two but not too long.
Now roll out the dough to around 2-2.5cm thick. (I often just make an oblong shape.) It should be much thicker than you expect. This volume of dough will only make 8 or 9 scones - anything more and your scones will not rise.
Cut out 8 scones using a cookie cutter about 5cm in diameter or alternatively just use a knife.
Place the scones on a baking tray and if you have any egg/milk mixture left over, brush the tops of the scones with it.
Cook for 8-10 minutes and do not open the oven door until they are cooked!

Serve warm with butter, whipped cream and jam in any order.

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this recipe. Scones are popular up here where I live and we are always looking for a delicious new variety to try out. How come you can't have cheese scones? Dairy allergies?

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this recipe. Scones are popular up here where I live and we are always looking for a delicious new variety to try out. How come you can't have cheese scones? Dairy allergies?
Hi and thank you.

yes, sadly I have a very severe allergy to all things dairy. Even the smallest amounts of dairy in tablets for instance can give me huge problems.

For the savoury scones,

omit the sugar and fruit
add 75g of grated cheese (use a tasty chedder, not a mild one) and the finer the grated cheese the better.
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder or 1tsp of ready made mustard (French or English will great)

cook in exactly the same manner, but serve only with butter.

Reaction score
The cheese ones sound good and I am sure my family will love them. I always feel so bad for people with dairy allergies because you miss out on some of the best foods in life. I am sure you get used to it, but I would cry if I could not have cheese and ice cream.

Reaction score
Hi and thank you.

yes, sadly I have a very severe allergy to all things dairy. Even the smallest amounts of dairy in tablets for instance can give me huge problems.

For the savoury scones,

omit the sugar and fruit
add 75g of grated cheese (use a tasty chedder, not a mild one) and the finer the grated cheese the better.
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder or 1tsp of ready made mustard (French or English will great)

cook in exactly the same manner, but serve only with butter.

I love your fantastic idea of using cheese for making scones! My god, here we make them very plain, but your idea of using cheese surely adds a lot flavour, even when eaten alone. Over here we like to add a bit butter. I love the idea of using chocolate chips as well!

Reaction score
There are lots of things we add to our scones here. My favorite is a cinnamon scone with maple frosting on top. You can add fresh berries to your scones, or anything you like really.

Reaction score
I am loving the scone...but it feels like I am alone. Since my baking slump, I have made scones on three different occasions. I was actually going to start a thread on them but then I found this one. The only thing I have to do now is make a very light scone and I feel I am going to be scone lady. Surprising my son won't eat any and my husband doesn't eat them all up. Still I feel like it's the nicest thing I have baked and the sugar content is low.

Ask a Question