Substituting Egg Yolk for Vegetable Oil in Bread Recipe

Reaction score
Can I substitute egg yolk for, [INSTEAD OF] vegetable oil in a bread recipe?

I've tried to google it a hundred times, changing the wording, but the only thing that comes up is stuff about substituting oil for [INSTEAD OF] eggs - the opposite of what I want to know.

I suppose I could ASSUME that if you can substitute oil for eggs, then you can probably, maybe, substitute egg yolks for oil... possibly.

I was just hoping someone might know, rather than having to assume.

Reaction score
No you cannot substitute oil for egg.

While oil can be added to bread dough, it cannot substitute for egg in a bread recipe because they do not contain the same molecules. Since they do not contain the same molecules, they chemically react in completely different ways with the molecules in the flour.

Oil: no water, 0% amino acids (proteins); 14g fat (100% fat) in 14g oil. Oil is hydrophobic, meaning it repels water.

Egg: 6g protein (amino acids); 4.5g fat in a 18g egg yolk (average large egg). The amino acids in egg go through proteins denaturation when subjected to agitation and/or heat. This results and the amino acids unfurling. The molecules then will bind with water molecules. So not only is egg yolk hydrophilic, meaning they will mix with water, making it an emulsifier, but the protein denaturalization process is coagulation of the protein. So egg works as an emulsifier and a binder.

The reason you don’t find anything on the Internet regarding substitution of egg for oil is they are not a substitution. They are molecularly totally different, so they chemically react differently in baking.

Reaction score
Thank you. There actually is a ton of stuff on the internet about substituting oil in place of eggs, (taking eggs out of a recipe and replacing them with oil).

I was just curious if the reverse was true. I appreciate the chemical breakdown. I wasn't sure what the chemical differences were, but I assumed they were different, (otherwise why substitute?)

Thank you for responding. It was a curiosity more than anything else.

Reaction score
Thank you. There actually is a ton of stuff on the internet about substituting oil in place of eggs, (taking eggs out of a recipe and replacing them with oil).

I was just curious if the reverse was true. I appreciate the chemical breakdown. I wasn't sure what the chemical differences were, but I assumed they were different, (otherwise why substitute?)

Thank you for responding. It was a curiosity more than anything else.

oh I was just going by your comment That you couldn’t find anything online. I don’t look on the Internet for recipes or information because I make my own recipes and I’ve had enough training it‘s in my brain.

When people make the claim it’s a substitution, what they’re really saying is they made this substitution and the baked good didn’t fail.

Average baker doesn’t understand baking science. They don’t realize they make a completely differently dough, and that it still baked into bread or whatever.

Most won’t even notice or note the obvious change in texture, flavor, and shelf life when they make the substitutions. and there is a change in shelf life with the addition of oil as it will delay starch retrogradation, egg will not.

People may add whatever they like to a dough, but what is added is going to have a specific chemical reaction to the flour, because baking is a chemical reaction of all the ingredients to time and temperature.

And time and temperature includes the addition of temperature when you mix dough, leave dough to rise, or chill the dough. In baking temperature has to be thought of as an ingredient; it is added in multiple ways throughout the mixing and baking process.

Reaction score
I'm new to baking. I'm not "new" by any stretch of the imagination, (I'm 60). Since I retired I have occupied my time by learning things I always wanted to know more about but never had time. I spent about a year learning about coffee. The plants, the growing regions, the agricultural aspects, the marketplace, the history. I bought a bunch of equipment, started ordering green beans from around the world, experimented with different roast schedules, started playing with adjusting water chemistry, using the "golden cup" formula, etc, etc. I came to the realization that if you could ever actually brew the perfect cup of coffee to drink every day, it would no longer BE the perfect cup of coffee... it would be routine and mundane. I did learn a lot and the things I learned carried over, so we no longer drink freeze dried Folgers made with chlorinated tap water in a $10 Mr. Coffee auto drip machine. We don't spend the time or effort on creating the perfect cup of coffee every morning either - we found a middle of the road compromise and I'm thankful for the new knowledge.

From there I morphed into brewing beer at home. That hobby actually lasted about 5 years, (there's a lot to learn), and consumed tens of thousands of dollars in equipment. But again, I was more into ALL that is beer making - from growing barley, malting, growing hops, the history, the traditions, the Trappist Monks, styles, cultures, ales, lagers, on and on. Brewing beer was really just a way to see in real time how all the things I was learning about worked in practice. When push came to shove, I didn't need three 5 gallon kegs continuously on tap with a keg or two waiting on deck. I'm just one guy, (my wife doesn't drink). So after 5 years, and the addition of 80 pounds, I moved on.

For the past 2 months I've been into baking. I got started doing a sourdough starter. Now I have two going; one sits on the counter 24/7 and I feed it every morning with a 1:1 ratio of All Purpose flour and water. The other is in the refrigerator and I feed it once a week with 2 parts Semolina and 1 part water. It's much thicker and ferments slow and cold. I'm hoping to activate different enzymes and create different flavor profiles. So for 2 months I've been experimenting with sourdough breads and I, (and several of my relatives), have been quite pleased with my progress.

So I apologize for the long-windedness. I'm into English muffins currently, and trying to learn as much as I can so I can create my own recipe. I'm an artist, so with coffee, or beer making, or cooking, or now baking, I am as much into the creativity and artistic side as I am the science and methodology. I don't have the time or money to go to school to become formally trained in every new hobby that pops into my head, so I have to learn what I can where I can.

I very much appreciate your responses. Thank you

Reaction score
I'm new to baking. I'm not "new" by any stretch of the imagination, (I'm 60). Since I retired I have occupied my time by learning things I always wanted to know more about but never had time. I spent about a year learning about coffee. The plants, the growing regions, the agricultural aspects, the marketplace, the history. I bought a bunch of equipment, started ordering green beans from around the world, experimented with different roast schedules, started playing with adjusting water chemistry, using the "golden cup" formula, etc, etc. I came to the realization that if you could ever actually brew the perfect cup of coffee to drink every day, it would no longer BE the perfect cup of coffee... it would be routine and mundane. I did learn a lot and the things I learned carried over, so we no longer drink freeze dried Folgers made with chlorinated tap water in a $10 Mr. Coffee auto drip machine. We don't spend the time or effort on creating the perfect cup of coffee every morning either - we found a middle of the road compromise and I'm thankful for the new knowledge.

From there I morphed into brewing beer at home. That hobby actually lasted about 5 years, (there's a lot to learn), and consumed tens of thousands of dollars in equipment. But again, I was more into ALL that is beer making - from growing barley, malting, growing hops, the history, the traditions, the Trappist Monks, styles, cultures, ales, lagers, on and on. Brewing beer was really just a way to see in real time how all the things I was learning about worked in practice. When push came to shove, I didn't need three 5 gallon kegs continuously on tap with a keg or two waiting on deck. I'm just one guy, (my wife doesn't drink). So after 5 years, and the addition of 80 pounds, I moved on.

For the past 2 months I've been into baking. I got started doing a sourdough starter. Now I have two going; one sits on the counter 24/7 and I feed it every morning with a 1:1 ratio of All Purpose flour and water. The other is in the refrigerator and I feed it once a week with 2 parts Semolina and 1 part water. It's much thicker and ferments slow and cold. I'm hoping to activate different enzymes and create different flavor profiles. So for 2 months I've been experimenting with sourdough breads and I, (and several of my relatives), have been quite pleased with my progress.

So I apologize for the long-windedness. I'm into English muffins currently, and trying to learn as much as I can so I can create my own recipe. I'm an artist, so with coffee, or beer making, or cooking, or now baking, I am as much into the creativity and artistic side as I am the science and methodology. I don't have the time or money to go to school to become formally trained in every new hobby that pops into my head, so I have to learn what I can where I can.

You sound like you could be a member of my family. A close friend of my family said when anyone in my family takes an interest in something we go all in. My sister two up knitting, now she spins and dyes her own yarn from wool. She owns a several spinning wheels, one dating back to the American revolution. My brother took an interest in brewing coffee. Now he owns coffee farms in Mexico. I took an interest in baking, and have spent the past 20 yrs studying it. Now my brother and I are putting our interests into a business. My oldest sister bought a old craftman’s house, and instead of hiring a architect and contractor to restore it, she researched everything, and did it herself. My youngest son started working out in high school just because some of his friends were hanging out at a gym. His friends eventually quit, but my son kept at it, became an elite level powerlifter, and runs his own coaching business.

Going all in on your interests keeps your brain engaged, keeps you focused on something productive, and is fulfilling.

Reaction score
I don't know any other way but "All In." Unfortunately, I wasn't blessed with the "stick-to-it-ness" gene. I started playing the guitar when I was 6 and I'm now 60. Other than that, there is NOTHING in my life I have ever stuck with for any length of time before becoming bored with it and moving on. I am the quintessential "Jack of all trades - master of none."

Reaction score
I don't know any other way but "All In." Unfortunately, I wasn't blessed with the "stick-to-it-ness" gene. I started playing the guitar when I was 6 and I'm now 60. Other than that, there is NOTHING in my life I have ever stuck with for any length of time before becoming bored with it and moving on. I am the quintessential "Jack of all trades - master of none."
You may get bored, but I’m sure you’re not a boring person.

Reaction score
This is either my 8th or 9th attempt. I started a buttermilk heirloom culture about 8 months ago. I'm on generation 17 right now. I also started a couple of sourdough starters a few months back. These English muffins combine buttermilk and sourdough. I wasn't sure how all of that two different fermentations would work. Surprisingly, they're not that tangy at all. I rested the dough in the fridge for 25 hours, shaped sixteen 100g muffins, allowed those to proof at room temp for 2 hours, and cooked on an electric griddle to an internal temp of 195°F. After they cooled for about an hour I split one open and tried it without toasting it. Based on the previous batches I made over the past few weeks, they usually develop more flavor by the next morning, so I can't wait to try these toasted tomorrow. I'm not there yet, but it seems like on on the right track.

58JAbpk.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is a seeded sourdough bread I made last Saturday. 84% Strong flour with 8% dark rye flour and 8% whole wheat flour - 8 kinds of seeds. I have one starter that I keep in the refrigerator and only feed it once every 2 weeks or so. It's thick - I feed it 2 parts Semolina to 1 part water. That one I named "Phoenix." The other one I leave out on the counter at room temp. I feed it daily with 1 part AP flour to 1 part water. I named that one "Arizona." This loaf was the first time I used the "Phoenix" starter. The crust turned out to be the best I've done so far and the flavor was great. To me, the crumb still feels a little chewy, but everyone who tried this one said it was dead on. I might up the dark rye flour to 10% next time. There was a hint of it there, but I think it could have been a little more.

iSL8gx3.jpg

Reaction score
This is a seeded sourdough bread I made last Saturday. 84% Strong flour with 8% dark rye flour and 8% whole wheat flour - 8 kinds of seeds. I have one starter that I keep in the refrigerator and only feed it once every 2 weeks or so. It's thick - I feed it 2 parts Semolina to 1 part water. That one I named "Phoenix." The other one I leave out on the counter at room temp. I feed it daily with 1 part AP flour to 1 part water. I named that one "Arizona." This loaf was the first time I used the "Phoenix" starter. The crust turned out to be the best I've done so far and the flavor was great. To me, the crumb still feels a little chewy, but everyone who tried this one said it was dead on. I might up the dark rye flour to 10% next time. There was a hint of it there, but I think it could have been a little more.

iSL8gx3.jpg

That is really a beautiful loaf of bread. Of all the things I miss eating since having to stop eating gluten, it is bread. I will forever miss bread. :(

Ask a Question