Sheet cake

Reaction score
This might be a silly question, but what exactly constitutes a sheet cake?? Is it thinner than a normal cake...?

Reaction score
Sheet cakes are just a one layer cake. They can be prepared in different sizes, but generally sheet cakes feed a dozen or more. (Depending on your recipe and pan size.) They are also generally served frosted. But basically, a sheet cake is just a single layer cake. :)

Reaction score
Sheet cakes are becoming trendy on Pinterest because they reek of Southern hospitality and feeding a large group of people.
You see them at potlucks quite a bit. It's a big, flat one layer frosted cake in big pan.

Reaction score
You could also make a sheet cake (large one layer cake) and then cut it into shapes or different numbers and letters if you wanted, so they are very versatile. I didn't have a pan shaped like a 3 for my friend's little boy's birthday cake, so I made a sheet cake and then cut it. After that she decorated it and it came out great! So they are ideal for non standard shapes.

Reaction score
You could also make a sheet cake (large one layer cake) and then cut it into shapes or different numbers and letters if you wanted, so they are very versatile. I didn't have a pan shaped like a 3 for my friend's little boy's birthday cake, so I made a sheet cake and then cut it. After that she decorated it and it came out great! So they are ideal for non standard shapes.
Oh my gosh! That is the best idea I have ever heard.... I can't believe I didn't think of that. But how big of a pan do you use?? Is there any difference between that and a regular cake besides the size? So you would obviously have to use a different size pan?? I saw a chocolate sheet cake on the internet everyday. I wonder if I could use cookie cutters to cut out parts of the cake. I am going to have to figure out what pan to make it in though!

Ask a Question