Shortbread Cookies

Reaction score
Here is another recipe found in my family's recipe book. I changed it a little bit and skipped the decorating.... I think they are great on their own! You can find this, and other recipes, on my new website. Feel free to submit a recipe of your own!

http://www.bakingcookies.info/shortbread-cookies/

Ingredients
  • ½ lb butter
  • 1 egg yolk
  • ½ cup icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
  • 2 cups flour
Directions
This recipe makes approximately 2 dozen cookies

Making the dough:
  1. Cream the butter, icing sugar and yolk
  2. Gently and slowly add flour and mix until dough is slightly stiff
Baking the Cookies:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  2. Roll the dough into small balls and flatten slightly OR roll out onto a floured board and use cookie cutters and place on baking sheet
  3. Decorate with sugar crystals, sprinkles, etc if melting the decorations into the cookie is desired (or wait until cooled and use glaze to hold decorations onto cookie – see Best Sugar Cookie Recipe for glaze)
  4. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until slightly golden
  5. Enjoy!

Reaction score
This is an awesome recipe. I need a shortbread recipe like this one. I always buy girl scouts shortbread cookies every year. I crave shortbread cookies throughout the year.

Reaction score
I was looking for a good Shortbread recipe. Sounds rich and delicious but not too sweet. Will have to get out my rolling pin and Dough EZ.

Reaction score
Awesome recipe! I love the fact you need very few ingredients to make them! I love it when I don't need to buy a bunch of things in order to make just a batch of cookies! I'll definitely give this one a try :) Love to try new things!

Reaction score
I used to hate shortbread cookies when I was younger but now I really like them...I think my younger-self just didn't find them sweet enough or something. And thanks for the recipe, I'll have to try it out soon! It would go great with some tea or coffee :)

Reaction score
Here is another recipe found in my family's recipe book. I changed it a little bit and skipped the decorating.... I think they are great on their own! You can find this, and other recipes, on my new website. Feel free to submit a recipe of your own!

http://www.bakingcookies.info/shortbread-cookies/

Ingredients
  • ½ lb butter
  • 1 egg yolk
  • ½ cup icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
  • 2 cups flour
Directions
This recipe makes approximately 2 dozen cookies

Making the dough:
  1. Cream the butter, icing sugar and yolk
  2. Gently and slowly add flour and mix until dough is slightly stiff
Baking the Cookies:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  2. Roll the dough into small balls and flatten slightly OR roll out onto a floured board and use cookie cutters and place on baking sheet
  3. Decorate with sugar crystals, sprinkles, etc if melting the decorations into the cookie is desired (or wait until cooled and use glaze to hold decorations onto cookie – see Best Sugar Cookie Recipe for glaze)
  4. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until slightly golden
  5. Enjoy!
That sounds delicious!!! Short bread cookies are my favorite. My grandmother used to love them as well and I remember going to her house when I was little and having hot tea and shortbread cookies together. Such great memories. :) Thank you for sharing this with us and bring back such fond memories from my past.

Danyel :)

Reaction score
Shortbread cookies are a favorite of mine for around the holidays. I always buy a few of the tins full of cookies because they always had the better shortbread cookies. I think I'll give this recipe a try and see if its something I can do and it turn out right.

Reaction score
I just had a gluten free shortbread cookie a couple of days ago and it was delicious. IT was like the softest shortbread I have ever tried. I would love to figure out how to make them just like that.

Ask a Question