Shortcrust trimmings

Reaction score
As a relatively new baker I am I pleased that I can now successfully bake a shortcrust pastry case without it shrinking.

However as I don't like to be wasteful I try to using the trimmings to fill an individual pastry case (or two) but no matter how I try the pastry tends to shrink down the sides to form a pizza shaped disk.
Are there any tips on what I need to do to get it right?

Thank you.

Reaction score
As a relatively new baker I am I pleased that I can now successfully bake a shortcrust pastry case without it shrinking.

However as I don't like to be wasteful I try to using the trimmings to fill an individual pastry case (or two) but no matter how I try the pastry tends to shrink down the sides to form a pizza shaped disk.
Are there any tips on what I need to do to get it right?

Thank you.

Do not overwork the dough

Rest the dough several hours minimum, preferably overnight before rolling. The rest allows the gluten to relax and the flour to fully hydrate.

Do not stretch the dough when rolling. When dough sticks to the work surface, you end up stretching it rather than rolling it. The only way to actually roll dough is when it’s completely free of the work surface. So make sure the dough is free from the work surface before each pass with the rolling pin and do not press down as you roll.

Do not stretch the dough when placing it in the pie plate or tart pan. Drape the dough over the form, then ease it in by lifting the outer edges and let the weight of the dough sink it into the form.

Freeze pie crust overnight at a minimum, but not more than 20 days. Most recipes instruct to freeze for 20 minutes. But 20 minutes is not enough time to impact elasticity. It’s dough elasticity that you need to reduce to prevent shrinkage.

Freezing degrades the protein glutentin (technically its called depolymerization) which causes the dough to lose elasticity. A less elastic dough will not shrink as much.

Reaction score
Hmmmm I've frozen my shortcrust before and it has meant that it's impossible hard to roll out. Is there a way to stop that?

I normally do use frozen grated butter, and a bowl that's kept in the freezer for a few minutes though.

Reaction score
Hmmmm I've frozen my shortcrust before and it has meant that it's impossible hard to roll out. Is there a way to stop that?

I normally do use frozen grated butter, and a bowl that's kept in the freezer for a few minutes though.

Daniel. I’m sorry I wasn’t more concise on freezing... freeze after rolling the dough. either cut it into rounds or place it in the pie plate, double wrap and freeze. For frozen rounds, simply unwrapped the frozen round and place over the pie plate. As it thaws it will gently ease into the pie plate.

I place a square of wax paper between the rounds to keep them from sticking together.

Dough in a pie plate double wrapped ready for Christmas
07ABDAED-6DE2-47E1-B26B-7B0171C4C76A.jpeg

Dough rounds for handpies or mini pies. I use canning jar lids for mini pies.
F2441C6C-8CF0-4464-9086-A7EEE2184979.jpeg

Canning jar rings pie molds
0992CCF2-CE87-4433-BE2D-0FF490E5D01E.jpeg

Canning jar ring mini pies
E6970C1C-1A9E-46A9-9048-90CE58D8E377.jpeg

Reaction score
Thanks Norcalbaker! Now I understand it. I actually did this once and if I remember well it did come out perfectly, I'm going to start trying it :)

Ask a Question