Should I get a better mixer for donut?

Reaction score
I have this KitchenAid Artisan for mixing my donut dough, but the dough gets warm because of long-dreaded mixing due to my dough isn't fully kneaded yet. Should I get a better mixer for donut? Any good recommendation?

Reaction score
What is the problem created with warm dough? Dough needs a certain warmth to ferment. What climate/part of the world are you located?

Reaction score
I have this KitchenAid Artisan for mixing my donut dough, but the dough gets warm because of long-dreaded mixing due to my dough isn't fully kneaded yet. Should I get a better mixer for donut? Any good recommendation?
compensate by starting with colder fluid.
Dunkin donuts uses ice water in some of their doughs.

Reaction score

1. a doughnut dough does not need a lot of gluten development. see recipe below.

2. the proper way to mix a dough is by controlling the temperature of the water. It’s called Desired Dough Temperature. It’s probably some thing that’s more complicated than any you want to do. But since I wrote down the steps for someone last year who I helped troubleshoot homemade doughnuts. This is from my notes.

=================

DDT = Desired dough temperature

This is the temperature that you want your dough after you finish mixing.

By adjusting the temperature of the liquid you can control the finished temperature of your mixed dough.

DDT is typically 75°F (24°C) – 82°F (28°C).

Total Temperature Factors are the things that add temperature to the dough that is NOT liquid. Remember I said you need to think of temperature as an ingredient? This is why I said that; TTF are those things that add temperature.

The water temperature is equal to (DDT x number of TTF) - (the sum of the TTF)

Total Temperature Factors (TTF)

• Room temperature
  • Flour
  • Preferment (e.g., the poolish in the Berliner doughnuts)
  • Friction Factor (heat from mixer or hand kneading)

DDT: 75°F —this is the temperature you want your doughnut dough to be after mixing

• Room temp 75°F
  • Preferment temp 0°F
  • Flour temp 70°F
  • Friction factor 22°F (see frictions estimates for mixing below)

Christine’s recipe does not have a preferment, so you will only use 3 factors

Required water temperature = (DDT x 3) - (room temp +

preferment temp + flour temp + friction factor)

58°F = (75°F x 3) - (75°F + 0°F + 70°F + 22°F)

There’s three steps

• Step 1: Multiply the Desired Dough Temperature (DDT) by Total Temperature Factors (TTF) (either 3 or 4)

(75 x 3 = 225) - (75 + 0 + 70 + 22 = 167)

• Step 2: add temperatures of all the TTF’s

(75 x 3 = 225) - (75 + 0 + 70 + 22 = 167)

• Step 3: subtract the sum of factors from TTF
225 - 167 = 58

Temperature of the water (or liquid) is 58°F

=================================

Friction Factor Estimates

• 22°F -24°F for mixing in home stand mixer (not a commercial mixer)

• 6°F-8°F hand kneading gentle folds

• 0-4°F stretch and fold

=================

Reaction score
You might want to invest in THIS mixer, the Nutrimill Artiste. I have one, & it's good!!
nutrimill-artiste-mixer-silver-trim-600.jpg

Reaction score
In addition to the good advice already here, I’ll share that last winter I made doughnuts that were supposed to be like Krispy Kreme but in the air fryer. They were all right, but not as light as I wanted. So I remade using a 10% tangzhong, subbed cake flour for the all purpose after the tangzhong, and incorporated something I saw on a blog about holding back some of the flour and beating with the paddle attachment as if it were a pound cake batter in consistency. You then switch to the dough hook and incorporate the remaining flour right at the end. The mixer didn’t have to work nearly as hard, too. Second go was really close to the real thing.

Side note… I haven’t posted here in ages. I learned a while back that I have to modify my diet due to sensitivities (trying to mostly follow a low FODMAP diet, which means a lot less wheat, only lactose free dairy, etc.) Except for the occasional sourdough and a little gluten free experimenting I haven’t really been baking, which I miss. I still get the email digest though, and this topic drew me in.

Best regards,

Ann

Ask a Question