Showcase your work!

Discussion in 'Baker Banter' started by Sharzi, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Sharzi

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

:p @Lee_C that looks so scrumptious! The crumb in the cake is looks nice and soft. And the fruit arrangement looks perfect. You are really becoming quite the baker my friend!!! Good job!!:D

Norcalbaker59, Jun 12, 2019
    1. Advertisements

2. Sharzi

Lee_C Well-Known Member

Thanks so much Norcalbaker! :D I'm glad you like it. I'm so pleased with it, it really is moist. I don't know why the eggs went all funny the first time with the baking spread/margarine.

I copied the fruit arrangement exactly from the recipe I used, so I can't claim much credit for that, but I'm glad it kept in place after turning it out. The whole thing tastes very similar to a syrup sponge pudding which is one of my favourite things. It baked for just under 50 minutes on 160c. I used a ceramic casserole dish that my mum gave me, it was the perfect width and depth. :)

Lee_C, Jun 12, 2019
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Sharzi

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

The cake really looks great. When I was a kid pineapple upside down cake was all the rage. For years I refuse to eat it because I thought pineapple on cake was just weird. It wasn’t until I was about 13 that I finally tasted it Then I was amazed at how delicious it was:D

Norcalbaker59, Jun 13, 2019
    Lee_C likes this.
  4. Sharzi

J13 Well-Known Member

It's beautiful! And I love that you decorated it so that it looks like it might have come right off the pages of some old magazine, back when pineapple upside down was new and in vogue.

J13, Jun 13, 2019
    Lee_C likes this.
  5. Sharzi

Lee_C Well-Known Member

Thanks @Norcalbaker and J13, those are quite some compliments! :)

I took some to my mum today, she's my baked goods taster/tester and yardstick to gauge what I did well and not so well, and she'll straight up tell me if a sponge or cookie is too dry or too hard!

She loves the pineapple cake so that was a relief and doesn't seem to need tweaking. Although I still think the edges came out a bit dark, and that's from being baked in a white (therefore heat reflective) ceramic dish, and baked slowly for 50 minutes on only 160c. So I'll use my DIY baking belt next time.

In the process I've learned that soured cream, creme fraiche or greek yoghurt are all good for increasing moisture in cakes.

Lee_C, Jun 13, 2019
  6. Sharzi

J13 Well-Known Member

Yeah, our grandmas knew what they were about with all those bundt and coffee cake recipes that always seem to include sour cream. :D

J13, Jun 13, 2019
    Lee_C likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question