Switch to Silicone Baking Mats for Affordable Baking

Reaction score
I used to use a lot of parchment paper, which can get expensive if you bake a lot. Last year, I came across silicone baking mats, and bought a few to try out. I haven't looked back since, and use them all of the time. I still keep parchment paper on hand for really messy projects, but the silicone baking mats clean up easily, and work well for me. Here's a link to some that are listed on Amazon, in case anyone is interested. http://www.amazon.com/b?node=3736921

Reaction score
Silicone is a plastic, so I have always had questions about how safe it really is as far as chemicals getting into the food when hot. I like parchment paper as a barrier to keep aluminum or Teflon chemicals out of the food. I'd be interested in seeing someone do some testing on these things to see what really happens.

Reaction score
Silicone is a plastic, so I have always had questions about how safe it really is as far as chemicals getting into the food when hot. I like parchment paper as a barrier to keep aluminum or Teflon chemicals out of the food. I'd be interested in seeing someone do some testing on these things to see what really happens.

Many people use silicone pot holders, pans, and trivets these days. I'm sure those who are open to using silicone products would be fine with using the silicone baking mats. I shared for those who don't mind using silicone, who are looking to save money. I have always loved parchment paper, but it can be very expensive, and of course, there's the trend of moving toward reusable products, rather than disposable ones. I try to limit my use of plastics, but I would hope there have been tests done on the use of silicone products, since they're designed for food use.

Ask a Question