Simple Idea for Cake Decoration

Reaction score
I have nice handwriting when I use a pen, but it doesn't work for me on cakes. I just can't write on cakes at all. So, I look for cutouts that say things like happy birthday or happy anniversary and I use them. You can place a bit of waxed paper lightly on the cake first if you don't want plastic touching your cake.

Reaction score
That's always an idea- handwriting in that sense can be hard, you could also print things on edible paper ;). I think there are a lot of creative options aside from trying to write it out yourself.

Reaction score
I love the edible paper idea :) Never used it, but it wounds way easier than the whole handwriting pat, for some reason I always ruin cakes up to that part.

Reaction score
That's a good idea. I tried some cake decorating once and even though I'm experienced with other interests like art, I just can't keep a steady hand when it comes to cakes. It takes a lot of skill and practice I suppose.

Reaction score
I've heard of the edible paper, but never tried it. I wonder what special stuff you need to print on it. I'm sure you can't just use ink, so I'm not sure how pricey it would end up being. It does sound cool though. You could also just find something cute and print with regular ink and paper. Cut it out and cut wax paper to fit underneath.

Exactly, Joanna. I guess I just need (a lot!) more practice.

Reaction score
I have nice handwriting when I use a pen, but it doesn't work for me on cakes. I just can't write on cakes at all. So, I look for cutouts that say things like happy birthday or happy anniversary and I use them. You can place a bit of waxed paper lightly on the cake first if you don't want plastic touching your cake.
I can't write neatly on cakes at all. Wish I could, but I have resorted to using stencils. I just buy the ones from the craft store and cut them to size. Gently put them on the top of the cake and either use them as an outline or fill them in with colored sugar ... very easy and it looks really great!!

Hope this helps!

Danyel :)

Reaction score
Oh, Daneyl, using stencils is such a clever idea. I am so stealing that one. I bet that looks really pretty too. Nice!

Reaction score
I'm an awful writer but I've discovered edible sheets with stencils. I stencil the letters onto the edible sheet then cut it out. I then lay the cut out onto my cakes and trace it out with whatever I'm using. After I get it traced, I remove the edible paper. I much rather have writing then stencils left on the cake.

Reaction score
I love the edible paper idea :) Never used it, but it wounds way easier than the whole handwriting pat, for some reason I always ruin cakes up to that part.

Well I am here wondering where I am going to end up on this. I did not even consider something like writing on a cake. You know my story. I have to get through making the cake first;).

Anyway before I "write" myself off, I am going to be putting this on my " list of things to do" somewhere down the road. I just got an idea for a new thread.;)

Reaction score
What if you do the writing in chocolate?

So like you get one of those parchment paper or like wax paper or something like that, and you lay it on a baking sheet, write the letters or words you want and pop the whole thing in the freezer. A few hours later (or when it's completely frozen), take it out and GENTLY lift up the chocolate. Bam!

That way you can have the neat handwriting you want but still as delicious and professional looking :)

Reaction score
Wow! You folks know all the tricks in the bag. Tangela I am guessing that you have try this method? It sounds like a good way to 'write'. Maybe somewhere down the road I will be to accomplish some of these things.

Reaction score
That's always an idea- handwriting in that sense can be hard, you could also print things on edible paper ;). I think there are a lot of creative options aside from trying to write it out yourself.

Wow i have never tried this one before ...it has being a constant struggle when it comes to me getting my writing to perfection when it comes to decorating my cakes...my daughter's birthday is in December so i'll be sure to put this idea to use.

Reaction score
Wow! You folks know all the tricks in the bag. Tangela I am guessing that you have tried this method? It sounds like a good way to 'write'. Maybe somewhere down the road I will be able to accomplish some of these things.

I am correcting some of my mistakes in typing and not writing:). Kammy I don't know I will be joining you anytime soon but I will be looking to see how your work turns out. I hope to see a picture or two here.

Reaction score
Wow i have never tried this one before ...it has being a constant struggle when it comes to me getting my writing to perfection when it comes to decorating my cakes...my daughter's birthday is in December so i'll be sure to put this idea to use.

I'm glad I could give you some inspiration :) I hope it turns out well for you, it's a very stress free method in my experience.

Reaction score
I'm glad I could give you some inspiration :) I hope it turns out well for you, it's a very stress free method in my experience.

I am hoping it turning out ok ...i am keeping my finger cross...and continue to be a wealth of inspiration you always have some great ideas to share.

Reaction score
Hi all :) this is my honey cake and this is how I decorated! View attachment 262View attachment 262 altAnlF29UcYmCTH04JSoC90gMT9PYp2rBlIhRZiq9LkDzQ[1].jpg

Ask a Question