Since It's Legal Now...

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with baking with pot? I've been approached with an opportunity to get into baking edibles, but i'm completely out of the loop on it. I've been reading up on it, and to be honest, it kinda scares me! If the oil or butter isn't measured in the right ratio, it could be way too strong. If the flower isn't processed right, the butter will taste like plant and not have the desired affect. There are different strains of weed that have different affects! And like every other baked good, you have to go through trial and error! I'm not trying to stay high to get a recipe right! And how strong is the smell when baking? Are we talking "aroma" or "contact high"? So many questions!

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with baking with pot? I've been approached with an opportunity to get into baking edibles, but i'm completely out of the loop on it. I've been reading up on it, and to be honest, it kinda scares me! If the oil or butter isn't measured in the right ratio, it could be way too strong. If the flower isn't processed right, the butter will taste like plant and not have the desired affect. There are different strains of weed that have different affects! And like every other baked good, you have to go through trial and error! I'm not trying to stay high to get a recipe right! And how strong is the smell when baking? Are we talking "aroma" or "contact high"? So many questions!

Lol, sorry outta my league here Redshoe. I wonder if there’s a baking with pot cake class anywhere :cool:

Reaction score
Wish I could help, but it's not legal here in the UK and I have no experience with it! I agree that there will probably be a large amount of trial and error. Are you keen to make it all from scratch, or can you buy the ready-made butter? I'm so green, I don't know how it works, lol :oops:

Reaction score
I would be supplied the butter or oil, but still the trial and error part... Oi!! I think i'm going to pass on the option. There is a metric ton of money to be made in it, but i don't think it's my cup of tea.

There’s a ton of money to be made. Before you decline, ask them if they would supply enough weed to run a couple of test batches. You give them the batches after baking so they aren’t out any product. Product development has to happen no matter what your product is. It’s not unreasonable for the client to pay for the development of their product. That’s how all businesses work.

Reaction score
True. i could have the more experienced try them out to see what works; I just know i wouldn't be the best to R&D. Part of the issue for me is also brand consistency. With my alcohol cakes, i am adamant about the fact that my cakes won't get you drunk; it's about the flavor of the alcohol in the cake. With edibles, it's exactly the opposite. They eat them to get high; the flavor is irrelevant for the most part. Now i realize i can create a different brand/dba etc, and not associate the two. but it'll probably come back around. And the other issue is i have a child at home... He is always very interested in what i'm working on. Of course in elementary school "Say No To Drugs" is a daily mantra. I'd never hear the end of it and he'd undoubtedly spread the word, like he's done with my current cakes. I don't know that it's worth the trouble, tbh. All money isn't good money...

Reaction score
True. i could have the more experienced try them out to see what works; I just know i wouldn't be the best to R&D. Part of the issue for me is also brand consistency. With my alcohol cakes, i am adamant about the fact that my cakes won't get you drunk; it's about the flavor of the alcohol in the cake. With edibles, it's exactly the opposite. They eat them to get high; the flavor is irrelevant for the most part. Now i realize i can create a different brand/dba etc, and not associate the two. but it'll probably come back around. And the other issue is i have a child at home... He is always very interested in what i'm working on. Of course in elementary school "Say No To Drugs" is a daily mantra. I'd never hear the end of it and he'd undoubtedly spread the word, like he's done with my current cakes. I don't know that it's worth the trouble, tbh. All money isn't good money...

Hello. May I suggest checking out grasscity(search) and checking out their forum. They have a huge variety of topics(Edibles etc.) and 600,000 members so I am sure you can get all the help you need. Bone Aptite. Sayonara.

Reaction score

Redshoe,
I totally understand your concern regarding your child. And too, SoCal is a very conservative county. So entering the edible cannabis industry poses some complex issues on who in your orbit needs to know, what they need to know, and how you approach these conversations.

Granted there is still stigma and resistance to cannabis, but it is LEGAL. And it is regulated, just as cigarettes, alcohol, and literally thousands of prescription drugs are regulated.

I am sure there are many parents who work in the cannabis industry. You might look at some of the professional cannabis organizations for parenting advice on how those involved in the industry discuss the issue of cannabis with their children and others.

This isn’t some nefarious activity… it’s not like you are breaking bad. It’s a legal industry. And it is a lucrative business. At the end of the day the critics aren’t paying your mortgage. So my thoughts are until they pay your mortgage, their opinions don’t matter one bit.

Reaction score
LMAO!!!!! This is such a great question. I love this thread. I’m sorry I can’t add anything useful here. I’m just dying laughing! :D

Reaction score
If you do your own butter you will get very good results, i dont remember the measures to making it but search for pot butter recipes. It is VERY easy to do, and when you are about to make a pastry or something DON'T USE ALL OF IT, so if a recipe asks for 60g of butter only use 1/3 on pot butter and the rest on normal butter,otherwise you will pass out lol (just kidding). So that will make 20g of pot butter and 40g normal butter

Ask a Question