Sinking cakes

Reaction score
I've been baking for years and never had this problem till approximately the past 6-8 months. It isn't just with one particular recipe either and it happens no matter if I make cupcakes, bundt cake or layers.

Everything looks beautiful, I remove the cake from the oven and it sinks right before my eyes. Just splat...

I've checked my oven temp, it fluctuates a bit but nothing major. I do not open the door during baking nor do I slam around the kitchen. I've tried mixing more, mixing less, nothing helps! Two nights ago I made 2 beautiful strawberry cakes that turned out perfect. Tonight I made a banana cake and I could hear it sinking before I even had it all the way out the oven.

I'm at my wits end and have hardly baked anything recently. :( I love to bake, and it helps take my mind off my very stressful job. But lately it's the cause of my stress, not the relief. I'm open to trying anything, even been looking at new ovens.

Reaction score
Hmmm.....

I would say you are either adding too much liquid to the batter or you aren't baking them long enough.

It is possible, if you have an old oven, that the heat may need to be turned up a bit more than you usually bake at.
Older ovens usually have to bake at a bit hotter temp than normal, to make up for the age difference. When heating elements get old, they tend to lose their momentum for heating at the desired temperature.

If you don't want to bake at a higher temp, then when you think your baked good is done, just turn off the oven and leave the item in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.

Ask a Question