Size matters!

Reaction score
I'm of course talking about food portion, of course ;) It's no secret I am trying to lose weight right now, so it' also no surprise I post this useful info graph ;) Really useful if you are also trying to lose weight and you are a bit clueless when it comes to right portion sizes.

252c20db5c983b67259ddeb0f7a1c5d1.jpg

Reaction score
This is handy. I particularly like the comparisons, because telling me the number of inches is meaningless. These are all pretty standard items we're all familiar with, so I really like this infographic. I'm going to save it for future use. I think many of us tend to get relaxed with regard to portion size, and especially here in the U.S., we tend to get used to larger portions if we eat out, and that sure helps pack the pounds on.

Reaction score
Hahahaha, I hear ya, @justme4910 Those portions are tiny! :O I don't think you have to limit yourself when it comes to steamed vegetables or a salad that contains no dressing :) I think we can eat as much as we want of that :) It's healthy and contains few calories.

Reaction score
This is handy. I particularly like the comparisons, because telling me the number of inches is meaningless. These are all pretty standard items we're all familiar with, so I really like this infographic. I'm going to save it for future use. I think many of us tend to get relaxed with regard to portion size, and especially here in the U.S., we tend to get used to larger portions if we eat out, and that sure helps pack the pounds on.

It's the same in the Netherlands... EVERYTHING is so big, specially the portions! Clothes are also huge, because well most people there are huge in every sense as well. I'm just 5'8 but I feel like a hobbit when I walk down the street in Amsterdam. It's hard to stay thin in a country like ours :(

Reaction score
Wow, it definitely is some food for thought if you pardon the pun!

I know that a lot of the time I dish up more food than that when it comes to my portion sizes. I'll have to re-evaluate based on this chart! It's hard though especially when eating out at restaurants - I feel like in most countries these days portion sizes have gone out the window!

Reaction score
I like the comparisons too but for me - I would forget most of them! I'm trying to just eat when I'm hungry and stop when I am full! It takes a bit to retrain your brain but it does work! I lost 20lbs before doing it and maintained for 3 years. Then I just got lazy and the weight started coming back! Argh! I also recently found a multi vitamin (1 a day) that has metabolism "booster". So, I'll see if that helps. :)

Reaction score
@mommy42 I had a same problem, but mine was a combination of: getting lazy and taking propanolol :/ But if you have any issues remembering this then you can simply print this. I will be doing the same. You know your own body better though, so if what you did before is still working for you, then that is awesome.

Reaction score
Wow, it definitely is some food for thought if you pardon the pun!

I know that a lot of the time I dish up more food than that when it comes to my portion sizes. I'll have to re-evaluate based on this chart! It's hard though especially when eating out at restaurants - I feel like in most countries these days portion sizes have gone out the window!

Agreed. My mom would often tell me I had to eat everything, even if i was full. Specially when we went to restaurants, so you can imagine how I cringed when I saw my in laws threw away so ,much food. I am hoping that when I am in my own place I will find a balance in terms of portions, but it's so hard :(

Reaction score
Agreed. My mom would often tell me I had to eat everything, even if i was full. Specially when we went to restaurants, so you can imagine how I cringed when I saw my in laws threw away so ,much food. I am hoping that when I am in my own place I will find a balance in terms of portions, but it's so hard :(

I hate wasting food, too - where I live it's not really common for someone to give you a box so you can take what you don't eat home for another meal later, so I feel guilty if I don't eat everything or close to everything. It's hard trying to find that balance!

Reaction score

years ago when i was a young lad, my mamaws,aunts mom, all would feed me like a prized hog :)

the Ladies that love to cook(and you know who you are :) )all smile and say they like to see me eat,which I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not lol

Reaction score
Portion sizes are really a hard thing to measure out, especially when you are very hungry and need food now. That is when most people tend to over eat and forget that their body does not need THAT much food. I try to make sure that I take a spoonful of the foods that you have to dish up and then take 2 or 3 small pieces of foods that are on a platter of some sort. Bigger is better here in the US and we have an obesity issue because of it,

Reaction score
I don't eat out at restaurants often, but when I do, I typically half the portions. I push half to the side, and eatthe rest. Then, I get a 'to go' box for the rest. At some restaurants, that needs to be thirded <---I made up a word, because the portions are so huge. I don't mind the huge portions, I love leftovers and getting my money's worth, but it can be disconcerting to see others gobbling up the whole plate's worth when they're thin, and having to cut back here.

Reaction score
@Diane Lane You have given me a really great idea! I might do that next time I go to a restaurant with big portions, because gosh sometimes the portions are so big, specially in certain countries. In the Netherlands that is the case. I will try this next time. I just hate it when my in laws ordered food and discarded a lot of it, can you believe it? I need more willpower :'(

Reaction score
Portion sizes are really a hard thing to measure out, especially when you are very hungry and need food now. That is when most people tend to over eat and forget that their body does not need THAT much food. I try to make sure that I take a spoonful of the foods that you have to dish up and then take 2 or 3 small pieces of foods that are on a platter of some sort. Bigger is better here in the US and we have an obesity issue because of it,

It's the same in the Netherlands and oh boy... I had never seen people so many people so big in one place xD But seriously they are also very tall and very overweight. I blame it on all that processed crap they sell at the super markets. I was at a dutch home and wow... they eat potatoes daily. No wonder these people are so overweight and colon cancer runs rampant; they eat a lot meat and sausages. They do make me feel better about my diet choices.

Reaction score
@Diane Lane You have given me a really great idea! I might do that next time I go to a restaurant with big portions, because gosh sometimes the portions are so big, specially in certain countries. In the Netherlands that is the case. I will try this next time. I just hate it when my in laws ordered food and discarded a lot of it, can you believe it? I need more willpower :'(

I've never been there, and hadn't realized people were big there. All I here here in the U.S. is about how big Americans are. I don't believe in wasting food. I always freeze or save it in the fridge for the next day or two. If I'm not going to be able to get to it, I'll share it with my cats or the strays I feed.

One of my favorite meals to eat out is a pork chop dish that comes with 2 pork chops. I love them, but the restaurant also serves rolls and cornbread, and I usually also get a salad, plus it comes with 2 side dishes. I usually get a double side of squash, because that's my favorite, and I end up with 1 leftover pork chop and at least one helping of squash, on top of rolls and cornbread. Once it's been on the table, they can't serve it to someone else, so that goes in the 'to go' bag as well. That's more than enough for one more meal.

Reaction score
years ago when i was a young lad, my mamaws,aunts mom, all would feed me like a prized hog :)

the Ladies that love to cook(and you know who you are :) )all smile and say they like to see me eat,which I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not lol

Lol, awwww! So you got to eat a lot nice things while growing up? Huh, lucky you! Was it mostly desserts or food in general?

I hate wasting food, too - where I live it's not really common for someone to give you a box so you can take what you don't eat home for another meal later, so I feel guilty if I don't eat everything or close to everything. It's hard trying to find that balance!

I think in the Netherlands they charge you for a doggy box or bag >_< They do with plastic bags in some places... it's so annoying. I've yet to try that at a restaurant though.

Reaction score
I've never been there, and hadn't realized people were big there. All I here here in the U.S. is about how big Americans are. I don't believe in wasting food. I always freeze or save it in the fridge for the next day or two. If I'm not going to be able to get to it, I'll share it with my cats or the strays I feed.

One of my favorite meals to eat out is a pork chop dish that comes with 2 pork chops. I love them, but the restaurant also serves rolls and cornbread, and I usually also get a salad, plus it comes with 2 side dishes. I usually get a double side of squash, because that's my favorite, and I end up with 1 leftover pork chop and at least one helping of squash, on top of rolls and cornbread. Once it's been on the table, they can't serve it to someone else, so that goes in the 'to go' bag as well. That's more than enough for one more meal.

I was shocked at the size of the clothes over there, a M there is practically a L or XL. So practically if you are a S size in the US you might have trouble finding things that will fit you right.

Nice! That sounds quite nice! I love pork chops :) That sounds like such a nice meal, very big indeed! I think portions are as big in the Netherlands as well. I am guilty of eating almost everything or leaving some food :( I will ask about the to go bag, they surely charge for that, but it doesn't matter.

Reaction score
Lol, awwww! So you got to eat a lot nice things while growing up? Huh, lucky you! Was it mostly desserts or food in general?

there wasn't a lot of Desserts,it was more like fried chicken or pork chops,fried taters or mashed taters,green beans,pickled beets,fried apples,corn bread,you do notice that the word fried is used a lot ? :)

I would give anything to be able to sit at my mamaws table for lunch one more time,papaw hired my Dad,me during the summer and usually my great uncle and my uncles would be there and no telling who else,while my great aunt and mamaw would cook up a whopper of a lunch,we would all be piled in the kitchen,eating like hogs,with the women saying,you need to eat more,your a growing boy,they would actually pile more food on my plate,while I was eating :)

needless to say,I was a fat little boy lol

we would get the occasional pie from my great Aunt and mom would make a killer Banana Pudding for the Holidays,me and one of my uncles would race thru the meal,to see which one would get the first scoop lol

papaw did give me my first job,once I got barely tall enough to push a lawn mower :) I guess that is consider child abuse these day :)

Reaction score
@justme4910 That is such a nice story, thanks for sharing your childhood stories it wounds so wonderful! It sounds like food was one of the things that got you all together around the table :) Hehehehe! I love fried things to be honest, but I don't eat them so often because I've IBS D: Your mamaws sounds like the sweetest person ever! I wish mine had been like that too, to me it sounds like you got golden memories :)

And about being overweight, well, I've this new belief: I won't stress too much about what is already done (after eating a slice of pie, lol). I try to control my weight, but if I eat something I shouldn't I'll no longer freak out like I did. Food is delicious, we should enjoy it ;)

Ask a Question