Sliced strawberries inside cake

Reaction score
Hello!
I wanted to put sliced fresh strawberries in middle of a cake along with the frosting, but I'm worried that the juices from the fruit will interfere with the texture of the cake. How can I go about doing this successfully?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Maryam :)

They should be ok, fresh strawberries don't tend to be as juicy as other fruit. If you're worried, then incorporate another later - eg whipped cream or creme patissiere - underneath the fruit, which will create a barrier. Obviously with any fresh fruit you want to make sure it is refrigerated and eaten quickly - they always tend to be best when fresh.

What kind of cake are you making?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Maryam :)

They should be ok, fresh strawberries don't tend to be as juicy as other fruit. If you're worried, then incorporate another later - eg whipped cream or creme patissiere - underneath the fruit, which will create a barrier. Obviously with any fresh fruit you want to make sure it is refrigerated and eaten quickly - they always tend to be best when fresh.

What kind of cake are you making?

I'm making a gluten free chocolate cake with cream cheese chocolate frosting. If I encapsulated the strawberries in frosting, would it be okay to leave in the fridge overnight before serving? Would iy make the frosting runny? Thank you so much

Reaction score
Personally, I feel that whenever fresh fruit is used it's always best when fresh. If you mixed the strawberries with frosting then the sugar in the frosting is likely to draw the moisture from the fruit over time, which will make the problem worse. In fact I was just about to post this when I saw your reply:

I should also add - if you want to minimise the juice then don't mix the strawberries with sugar, it draws out the moisture.

Would you be able to find time to finish the cake on the day? ie make everything in advance, then assemble it with the strawberries shortly before eating it?

Reaction score
Personally, I feel that whenever fresh fruit is used it's always best when fresh. If you mixed the strawberries with frosting then the sugar in the frosting is likely to draw the moisture from the fruit over time, which will make the problem worse. In fact I was just about to post this when I saw your reply:

I should also add - if you want to minimise the juice then don't mix the strawberries with sugar, it draws out the moisture.

Would you be able to find time to finish the cake on the day? ie make everything in advance, then assemble it with the strawberries shortly before eating it?

Okay I will make everything and assemble the day of. Thank you so so much, this was really helpful :)

Ask a Question