Smoke point of oil when baking?

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I wanted to know if it is important to consider the smoke point of oils when baking something like muffins or biscuits. The oil goes into the batter, so it's not like I'm sautéing anything, right? For example, I'm using a recipe which calls for virgin coconut oil (which has a smoke point of 350) and a temperature of 425 or so. Am I generating carcinogens in my muffins?

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I wanted to know if it is important to consider the smoke point of oils when baking something like muffins or biscuits. The oil goes into the batter, so it's not like I'm sautéing anything, right? For example, I'm using a recipe which calls for virgin coconut oil (which has a smoke point of 350) and a temperature of 425 or so. Am I generating carcinogens in my muffins?

You will never bake anything beyond 210°F. Bread is done at just below 200°F. Enriched bread at 200°F. Cake and muffins are done between 205°F and 210°F; at 212°F you’re over baked.

And just an aside, coconut oil is one of the worst oils you can use. Coconut oil is 80% - 90% pure saturated fat. The coconut oil in studies showed some possible small health benefits from the medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). But the commercially produced coconut oil does not have have the MCTs. It just pure saturated fat. So it’s very unhealthy.

Reaction score
Oh wow! I wonder why it is that some of the recipes I've looked at use such high temperatures. When I have more time, I'll come back and ask about the recipe I've been using. I'm trying to make healthy muffins, so I'll be sure to use a different oil from now on. Do you have a recommendation? Thank you again for your response!

Reaction score
Oh wow! I wonder why it is that some of the recipes I've looked at use such high temperatures. When I have more time, I'll come back and ask about the recipe I've been using. I'm trying to make healthy muffins, so I'll be sure to use a different oil from now on. Do you have a recommendation? Thank you again for your response!

The oven temperature is one thing, what I am referring to is the internal temperature of the product you’re baking. Although recipes always indicate a big time, you should always bake to internal temperature.

Yes feel free to ask questions when you have time. We are always happy to discuss

Ask a Question