Sneaky Bakers

Reaction score
I read an article about a woman who admitted to buying baked goods, then passing them off as her own homemade goodies.Whenever there was a potluck or a bake sale, she would purchase baked good , put them on a plate and claim she bake them. What do you think about this behavior, have you ever been tempted to do the same thing?

Reaction score
I definitely have been tempted but have never actually done it. I know loads of people who do, though! I think it's kind of hilarious but homemade always tastes better so I think it's worth the extra time and effort.

Reaction score
I've seen that happen in a movie (ha ha), but I've never done it and I don't think I ever would.

Reaction score
When I worked in a large corporation, people always wanted pot lucks. I will admit I worked lunch and many hours after so I didn't cook or bake like I do now. I would buy pies or cakes and even dishes to put out, BUT I never passed them off as my own. They ate everything anyway, so I don't think they were offended.

Reaction score
I have never even thought about doing this I could never pull it off. Whenever I bring something to a pot luck people ask way too many question that I would not have answerers to, and that would be the end of that cherade.be sides why pretend , I did not have time to bake I would just say so.

Reaction score
I know a lot of coworkers who do that. They like to go out and buy foods for dinnets and say that they made it. I don't believe some of them, but sometimes you can't tell the difference.

Reaction score
No, if I do bring something that is not home made, I always say nope, not this time kids! You get store bought, I ran out of time to bake! Then they all laugh and its ok.

I don't think it is okay to be that insecure with oneself to pass off someone else's work.....

Reaction score
I agree. When I bring anything to a party, I always bake it myself. I likr to hsve people like my cooking not someone elses. I think it's wrong to pass store bought as your own, but a lot of people do it because they want people to think they can cook.

Reaction score
I just find that a little sad....if you didn't have time or whatever to bake something, why not just admit you picked it up somewhere? If I say something is homemade, you can be sure I actually made it ;).

Reaction score
Yeah I think it's best to admit that you didn't make something rather than pretend that store bought is yours. I once made a red velvet cake from scratch for a friend and she liked it. The next time she asked me to make another one for her, but I didn't have time to make it from scratch so I bought the box mix and made it. I told her it was from a box, but she didn't believe me. I was not tryong to pass a box mix off as my own it just happenex that way.

Reaction score
I wouldn't feel right about doing it either! I don't have a problem telling people something isn't homemade! I think at times people just appreciate the food
and could care less if it was homemade or store bought!
I guess I also just don't worry about what others think about me! At least at this point in my life I don't!
With age comes wisdom!!! LOL :)

Reaction score
With age comes wisdom!!! LOL :)

This is so true! But I never thought to do something like this even when I was a teenager in love with baking cakes on a daily basis even if many of them did not look as appealing as those in the magazine I was following a recipe.

Moreover, today that I have made a name for my baking and cooking abilities among family and friends, I would not risk to buy baked products and make people believe they are mine because quality might not be the same, affecting my reputation but for bad, haha

Reaction score
Yeah but there are a lot of people out there who can't bake, but tgey want to impress so they pretend that the store bought is their own so that no one gets disappointed.

Reaction score
The store-bought stuff always looks so much nicer than my homemade items,but I would never try to take the credit for it. I might buy those pre-baked cupcakes or cookies and decorate them myself, though - that counts as mine, right??

Reaction score
Haha! That is funny Rosie! :) I suppose you could take credit for the decorations!
Sometimes that part is the hardest. I'm not always that creative.
But wouldn't you feel bad telling someone they were yours? Lol!
I bet yours would taste better anyway. ;)

Reaction score
The store-bought stuff always looks so much nicer than my homemade items
Good point! Perhaps people that take credit for store-bought baked stuff want to receive adulation for their skill based on the promise that such stuff looks better than homemade.

But again, I would not risk to serve a great-looking cake ignoring if it really tastes as good as it looks in the outside.

I remember my childhood days attending my cousin's birthday party. She had a wonderful cake that seemed to have a billboard on top saying "taste me"

Rather than playing with other kids, I spent the whole afternoon watching the cake and dreaming on the moment to get an slice. However what a disappointing experience when I finally got it. The outside was a sort of meringue with a rubber texture and the bread was totally tasteless.

There are small breads and cakes that one can try before serving to guests, but a huge cake it's a risk claim baking ownership.

Reaction score
I agree. It may look good, but if you haven't tasted it before then it's not a good idea to pass it off as your own. That's why it is better to bake it yourself. That way you can feel a sense of accomplishment whenever someone praises your baking.

Reaction score
I think the idea of being untruthful is the biggest problem. I never advocate an outright falsehood. If you wanted to make the presentation look better and put it on a platter or decorative plate, etc. that's of course perfectly nice. You don't have to put a big neon sign that says "STORE BOUGHT" but if someone asks, at least be truthful enough to admit it. :)

Reaction score
I think the idea of being untruthful is the biggest problem. I never advocate an outright falsehood. If you wanted to make the presentation look better and put it on a platter or decorative plate, etc. that's of course perfectly nice. You don't have to put a big neon sign that says "STORE BOUGHT" but if someone asks, at least be truthful enough to admit it. :)
I agree. They should at least tell the truth when asked, but not everyone wants to admit they did not make it.

Ask a Question