Soaking fruit for Xmas cake

Reaction score
hi all, I’m a newbie, need to know if I can presoak Christmas cake fruit in a Tupperware container, tia

Reaction score
I think you can, but a plastic container's liable to absorb some of the flavor and color of the liquid, whereas glass or stainless steel wouldn't. If you use tea in your soaking liquid, that may stain the Tupperware. The red from dried cranberries may stain also. But it's only an overnight soak, right? Are you getting an early start on your Christmas fruitcake baking?

Reaction score
Hi, yes, I just bought the fruit today and want to soak for about a week, I don’t have a glass or stainless container with lid, hence the Tupperware question (have loads) think I will use a large casserole dish with lid. I normally only soak overnight but thought I would try something different this year. Thanks for your reply

Reaction score
Hi, yes, I just bought the fruit today and want to soak for about a week, I don’t have a glass or stainless container with lid, hence the Tupperware question (have loads) think I will use a large casserole dish with lid. I normally only soak overnight but thought I would try something different this year. Thanks for your reply

You can use anything that isn't plastic. Glass or ceramic would work best.

You can marinate it for as long as you want. The long it marinates, the stronger the fruit will be when absorbing the alcohol. Just keep it close up airtight in the fridge while marinating.

A lot of German recipes use alcohol soaked fruit, and most of their recipes have the fruit marinating for up to a month.

If plastic is all you have, then I wouldn't do it for more than two days.

Reaction score
Depends on the age of your Tupperware. The older Tupperware is made of polycarbonate plastic that contains BPA. The BPA will leech into your food.

If your container is sterilized, soaking for a week should be fine.

Reaction score
I've been making fruitcakes for years but never soaked the fruit. What kind of fruit are you soaking? And in what are you soaking it? I'm guessing it is rum or brandy. My recipe is an old one from England and we boil the raisins. Making them weeks before the holidays allow them to blend the flavors. No alcohol involved. I'd love to know your recipe.

Ask a Question