Soft fluffy rolls

Reaction score
I followed a recipe that made soft fluffy rolls, however when I did them they came out soft on the inside but the outer was hard, like a crusty roll, which was not what the desired outcome, any ideas on how I keep them soft, My oven was at right temp as checked with temp gun.

Reaction score
I followed a recipe that made soft fluffy rolls, however when I did them they came out soft on the inside but the outer was hard, like a crusty roll, which was not what the desired outcome, any ideas on how I keep them soft, My oven was at right temp as checked with temp gun.
Try brushing them with egg wash before baking or you can also brush them with a little melted butter as soon as they come out of the oven as butter creates a barrier and prevent extra moisture loss from the surface. Works really well for me.

Reaction score
Baking is all chemistry, a chemical reaction of all the ingredients to temperature and time.

A hard crust is too thick a crust forming in baking.

Caused by one or combination of factors:

• Not enough hydration in formula for the level of protein in the flour
  • No humidity or not enough humidity during proofing; outer dough dries out and forms a skin. Use turned off oven as proofer, place a small pan with 1” of boiling water on floor of oven. Standard humidity for a bakery proofer is 80%–85%. If you bake a lot of bread, I would recommend you buy a hydrometer.
  • Oven temperature: the higher the oven temperature, the thicker and harder the crust. Using oven thermometer to confirm the temperature in your oven. Recipes will state a temperature, but that does it mean it will produce the results you want. You’re free to experiment and set the oven temperature to achieve the results you want. Don’t shift the temperature too dramatically, adjust by 10° - 15° increments.
  • Over baking
  • Scale: too small portion of dough to size of pan. It’s important that the dough rises and fills up the pan. There shouldn’t be a lot of airspace in the pan around the dough.

Reaction score
Thanks all,

I have had issues with proofing as my kitchen is never warm so have had to start using the turned-off oven method. Will check the temp of oven because its has been spot on but havent checked for a while.

Reaction score
Update on the tests,

First my yeast had gone, one batch didn't even raise.
Second attempt yeast worked tried in the oven with water in bottom, and dough had risen in an hour. 2nd proofing I had to put the hob on to get some heat around where the bread was and that worked.

The temp in my oven is running 20 degrees hotter. Tested with two oven thermometers and a heat thermal gun reader. So had to adjust the cooking times.

Ask a Question