Soft or Crunchy Cookies

Reaction score
What is your cookie preference? I reading Dominique Ansel's new book, and he mentioned that the cookie defines American desserts, and everyone has a preference. I was wondering if you like soft, chewy cookies, hard and crunchy, or something in between.

I like mine in between. I hear that brown sugar can determine how soft a cookie is.

Reaction score
Brown sugar has a nice rich crispiness to a cookie. I prefer my cookies chewy and warm, chocolate of course to be slightly melting in the middle. The only cookies I like that are hard are shortbread ones that need a firm texture and bite or lemon biscuits but can still melt in the mouth.

Reaction score
I prefer my cookies to be soft, but there are a few exceptions. I love crunchy gingersnaps and butery sugar cookies. My favorite time to eat a cookie is when it is soft and warm right out of the oven. My significant other, on the other hand, loves his cookies hard and crunchy and he loves to eat them straight out of the freezer. He is strange, I know!

Reaction score
It depends! If it's like shortbread I like it crunchy :) If it's like...chocolate chip cookies and stuff like that definitely chewy!

Either way though they go well with a cup of tea or coffee :)

Reaction score
I actually do not have a preference. I like both crunchy and soft cookies of all kinds with the exception of sugar cookies. Those just don't have enough flavor for me no matter what. For a long time ginger snaps were my favorite cookie, but then I migrated back to the oatmeal raisin and some of the fancier ones. Right now I'm gluten free, so I'm a bit limited. I need to figure out something like a ginger snap that is gluten free though, I do miss those from time to time.

Reaction score
Overall I like soft, chewy cookies- I just find them so much more rich and indulgent than the alternative. Sometimes it's nice to have a little crunch on the outside and a softer texture as you get towards the center, but overall I'm just as happy leaving the crunch out altogether.

Reaction score
I like them both depending on my mood. I've had some chewy ones that I have enjoyed and I've had some crunchy ones I enjoyed. If I was forced to choose one it would be the soft or chewy ones. The ones I did today were a little bit of both.

Reaction score
I've always preferred crunchy cookies; and i enjoy having it with a chilled glass of milk , a warm cup of coffee or even a cool glass of water works fine by me.

Reaction score
Well I made some recently and they were crunchy or slightly overdone. I think I left them in the oven 1 minute longer than I should have. In no time they were gone unlike the " two ingredient" ones I had made some time before.

Reaction score
There is nothing like a soft chewy warm cookie.The only time I like crunchy cookies is if they are going to be dunk in milk or coffiee.

Reaction score
I like them soft, we have a thing here for soft biscuits (we call it that way the soft cookies that crumble in your mouth), those are perfect for the coffee time. As for crunchy cookies.... hell no! For some reason I prefer mine soft, not crunchy, unless I am eating some kind of granola cookie or the like, those are actually good if you are outside.

Reaction score
It really depends on my mood. I like the big, soft cookies with frosting on them at times, because it is almost like a cake. But that wouldn't be my preference regularly. If I want quick snack I can grab-and-go, hard chocolate chip cookies work for me. If I want milk with it, crisp cookies is the only way to go. If I want fresh, out-of-the-oven goodness, soft cookies are the answer.

Reaction score
Soft cookies in general because of my teeth. I really need to go see a dentist and get them properly fixed up so I don't have to worry like I do. I miss being able to chomp down wildly on hard cookies. I have to always eat hard cookies dipped in milk to soften them up (sensitive teeth fail) so I generally prefer soft-baked. Not only that, but soft-baked are good for awhile outside their proper packaging, and can be eaten in segments.

Try that with a hard cookie and see where the crumbs and issues follow you around. Soft cookie on a napkin, good to go.

Ask a Question