Soft pretzels problems

Reaction score
Hi! I have been using a generic "tasty" soft pretzel recipe. The first 10 times I made them, they were PEREFCT. unbelievably perfect. Then all of a sudden, I can't get it right. They look brown and beautiful but, they're rubbery. Every single time. I haven't changed the recipe or method.
I'm trying to figure out what causes the dough to be so dense, doughy and rubber-like. Flavor is good. Texture is trash.

1.5 cups warm water
1 pk Active yeast
1 tbsp sugar
Let rest 5 mins

Add to
4 cups bread flour
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp oil

Mixture into dough
Let rise in covered bowl 1 hr

Cut into 8 sections. Roll & shape
1/3 cup Baking soda in water. Bring to roiling boil.
bath 30 seconds each side.
Egg wash or butter
Season
Bake at 450° 12-16 mins.

Last 6 or 7 times I've made them, it's like a practical joke because of how rubbery they come out!

**Also, after bath, should I dry them off before egg washing them? Does that make a difference?

I really appreciate any help. I've looked all over the internet for an answer. I don't understand why/how the 1st 10 times they were so perfect and now I can't get it right to save my life!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211226-191948_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211226-191948_Chrome.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20211226-191958_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211226-191958_Chrome.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Your recipe is in cups and should be in grams. Measuring with cups is inconsistent and the flour weight will vary from batch to batch. Additionally your kneading and proofing process can vary. All of these things can affect texture.

Either find a recipe that uses gram measurements or convert your recipe to grams and never deviate.

Reaction score
Hi! I have been using a generic "tasty" soft pretzel recipe. The first 10 times I made them, they were PEREFCT. unbelievably perfect. Then all of a sudden, I can't get it right. They look brown and beautiful but, they're rubbery. Every single time. I haven't changed the recipe or method.
I'm trying to figure out what causes the dough to be so dense, doughy and rubber-like. Flavor is good. Texture is trash.

1.5 cups warm water
1 pk Active yeast
1 tbsp sugar
Let rest 5 mins

Add to
4 cups bread flour
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp oil

Mixture into dough
Let rise in covered bowl 1 hr

Cut into 8 sections. Roll & shape
1/3 cup Baking soda in water. Bring to roiling boil.
bath 30 seconds each side.
Egg wash or butter
Season
Bake at 450° 12-16 mins.

Last 6 or 7 times I've made them, it's like a practical joke because of how rubbery they come out!

**Also, after bath, should I dry them off before egg washing them? Does that make a difference?

I really appreciate any help. I've looked all over the internet for an answer. I don't understand why/how the 1st 10 times they were so perfect and now I can't get it right to save my life!

1. Learn baker’s percentages. Volume measurements is how much space something takes up; it has no relationship to baking and is unreliable.
  2. Pretzels are best when made in a lye bath. It may seem daunting at first, but after working with a few times, you will learn how to handle it and get over your fear. You can see the quality difference between lye and baking soda water baths in these photos. And it’s not just the color, it’s texture and flavor. https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2018/10/15/making-pretzels-at-home
  3. Strongly recommend Jeffrey Hamelman’s book mentioned in the article if you bake. https://shop.kingarthurbaking.com/items/bread-a-bakers-book-of-techniques-2nd-edition
  4. You don’t need an egg wash.

A recipe

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/german-style-pretzels-recipe

This explains how to use lye bath

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/seriously-soft-sourdough-pretzel/

I Made these with lye water, no egg wash

6B182B50-09D7-40F6-B3BC-D959A373E350.jpeg

9CDD62EC-86ED-447D-9C65-99BE8C8B9D11.jpeg

Ask a Question