Baking Basics: Answers to Common Questions

Reaction score
  • Please share your views along with your answer to the following questions:

• 1. What is the purpose of yeast used in the baking recipe?
  • 2. Why do we use eggs in a baking recipe?
  • 3. If we use only flour, yeast, water, and salt in a single baking recipe, then what will be the outcome of it?
  • 4. Why temperature is important in a baking recipe?
  • 5. Why baking powder always has a larger quantity than baking soda used in a baking recipe?
  • 6. Which baking machine is best for a baking recipe among air fryer, OTG, Bread maker, electric pressure cooker, or simple gas oven?
  • 7. What is the best baking temperature for most baking recipes?
  • 8. What is the best room temperature for most of the baking recipes?
  • 9. What is the best timing for rising for most of the baking recipes?
  • 10. During the rising or proofing, what will be the temperature in the dough?
  • 11. How much least water is needed for dough making in the baking recipes?
  • 12. Why honey, milk, and sugar is applied in baking recipes?
  • 13. Is it true that with every degree of baking the temperature change could spoil or make a baking recipe?
  • 14. How many minimum numbers tools are required in baking? Tell their name.
  • 15. What are the most important ingredients for the soft bread recipe?
  • 16. Should always use a strainer for flour in a baking recipe?
  • 17. Who are the best YouTube baking experts in the world today? Tell their names.
  • 18. What qualities are required for becoming a baking expert?
  • 19. What is the maximum time for making bread is needed?
  • 20. For better flavor in a baking recipe, what are the least ingredients required?
  • 21. Which ingredients are responsible for making soft bread?
  • 22. Which is the best technique for kneading in a baking recipe?
  • 23. If you like to use a baking recipe from Northern Hemisphere in Southern Hemisphere, then what kind of adjustment will require to work perfectly?
  • 24. As we know that the selection of flour is important for baking but how we can select the perfect flour for it as Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere are quite different?

Reaction score
If you really want to learned Baking I would suggest you invest in two books. They are written for professionals, but these books will correct all of your misunderstandings about baking.

How Baking Works by Paula Figoni This is NOT a recipe book. Rather this is an explanation of the science of ingredients in baking.

Advance Bread and Pastry a Professional Approach by Michel Suas. This is a professional textbook on the proper methods in baking and it includes the science of baking.

Most of the questions you ask are irrelevant.

For instance, the hemisphere you live in
has nothing to do with baking. Rather, the country of Origin is important because the flour protein will vary by country. Canadian flour is very high in protein. English domestic Flour is so low in protein it cannot be used for bread. The milling technology of the flour is different in France, and that effects the flour quality and characteristics. Canada and the United States uses a different grading system for eggs than Europe, so a “large” egg from these counties is equivalent to a medium egg in European countries.

Imperial measurement is not the same as US units.

Most of your questions indicate you just lack fundamental understanding of baking.

I would stay away from YouTube because vast information online is incorrect. If you purchase the two books I mentioned you will see what I mean.

Reaction score
If you really want to learned Baking I would suggest you invest in two books. They are written for professionals, but these books will correct all of your misunderstandings about baking.

How Baking Works by Paula Figoni This is NOT a recipe book. Rather this is an explanation of the science of ingredients in baking.

Advance Bread and Pastry a Professional Approach by Michel Suas. This is a professional textbook on the proper methods in baking and it includes the science of baking.

Most of the questions you ask are irrelevant.

For instance, the hemisphere you live in
has nothing to do with baking. Rather, the country of Origin is important because the flour protein will vary by country. Canadian flour is very high in protein. English domestic Flour is so low in protein it cannot be used for bread. The milling technology of the flour is different in France, and that effects the flour quality and characteristics. Canada and the United States uses a different grading system for eggs than Europe, so a “large” egg from these counties is equivalent to a medium egg in European countries.

Imperial measurement is not the same as US units.

Most of your questions indicate you just lack fundamental understanding of baking.

I would stay away from YouTube because vast information online is incorrect. If you purchase the two books I mentioned you will see what I mean.
Thank you for your great advice!

Reaction score
Answering the second question,

Eggs play an important role in everything from cakes and cookies to meringues and pastry cream. They create structure and stability within a batter, thicken and emulsify sauces and custards, and also add moisture to cakes and other baked goods, and can even act as glue or glaze.

Ask a Question