Something Different

Reaction score
So I recently started learning French, and when I get into something like that, I like to really get into more than just the language. Since my best friend is also a French major, I decided to make them a special cake for their birthday since we couldn't eat a whole cake alone.

These are little French cakes. They're very moist and have a great flavor! They're very easy to make. The only hard part is that the pan you use isn't your typical pan. Still, if you don't mind buying the pan, it's a great chance to have something different once in awhile.

http://frenchfood.about.com/od/cookies/r/madeleines.htm

Reaction score
Thanks for adding a link to see a new treat idea. I like trying interesting new things and want to try this recipe. I wonder if buying a pan is truly needed. Being a southern girl, I was thinking a muffin pan may work just as well. What do you think?

Reaction score
I thought about suggesting that, but you would have to be careful. The pan made for them is very shallow, so if you want to try it, only put no more than about half an inch of batter into each spot. Let me know how it goes for you!

Reaction score
Those are so good. One of my favorite little cakes. I love that they aren't overly sweet.

Reaction score
I love madeleines! I tried them as a food fair a year ago and just had to buy a packet. I love how fluffy they are, and how they're sweet without being too sickly. I'm not sure I would make them often enough to buy a special tin for them though. I'll just stick with the bought ones for now. :p

Reaction score
I've had madeleines before but never tried to make them myself because I thought they would have a lot more ingredients.
Thank you for sharing the recipe, it's a shorter recipe than I thought and I might actually try it.

Ask a Question