Something To Relatively Crunch On In This Fudge Cake

Reaction score
Hello,

I am no baker and therefore came here for advice, opinions and anything that could be insightful and could give me some great ideas. Any "insider secrets" would be much appreciated but I have a main concern that I would like assistance with. I think it's best if I provide a framework and context for me to explain everything so below I've summarized my game plan.

I am making this chocolate cake with some modifications:
https://thehappypear.ie/recipe/epic-vegan-chocolate-cake/

Modifications include:
*I am going to be baking 2 but in a small miniature saucepan/pot like 6 cm or so.
*The almond flour will be replaced with sesame seeds ground up
*The bottom layer is going to have coffee(How would I do that? Would I put a cup of prepared coffee in? And if so, how potent do I make it or what do I do?-I'm not a coffee drinker)
*No raspberries, perhaps bananas or cherries instead(Not sure exactly, most likely bananas)

*LASTLY, and the real reason for posting this, is that I want the bottom layer to have some crunch, even some nutty texture to it like pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts. And I am lost in terms of what I could put in that bottom layer. I am on the fence on what to use. I cannot tolerate nuts well, as well as, I like being creative.

Here's my thoughts:
Putting things like buckwheat, millet, couscous or something like that in the bottom layer. I'd like them to be toasted so would I toast them before adding them to the batter?

Or

I was thinking of lightly crumbling up these Power O's(The chocolate ones) and placing them in the batter:
http://www.godairyfree.org/product-reviews/love-grown-foods-power-os-cereal

Or

Adding these Quinoa Puffs:
http://www.lifeaftergluten.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Quinoa-Puffs-package.jpg

With the cereals I am skeptical because I am not sure what the texture will be like when I buy it and also what it will turn out like after it combines with the batter and goes through the oven. Please if you have any other ideas let me know. It's just a matter of me hearing different suggestions and opening my mind to other thoughts. I even thought of some sort of cookie, crumbling that in, but I would want it to be a relatively healthy cookie, for me to consider that... I realize I am making a cake. So a cookie is not at the top of my list.

Thank you and if you have any wisdom and experience you would love to share with me I would be happy to hear them.

Reaction score
There are lots of threads on this forum for all sorts of hints, tips, and suggestions on all sorts of baking. All you have to do is use the search bar to look for whatever it is you are needing.

As for your "crunch" dilemma.....

You can always use granola. A lot of people like granola. I've never baked a cake with granola in it, so I can't say if it will soak up moisture from the cake while baking, but you can definitely add granola to the frosting or filling.

You can also use toasted oats, toasted seeds, or bits of vegan candy - such as toffee.

If you want something JUST for crunch, then you can get some puffed soy beans. They will add crunch, but they have no taste (not to me anyway).

Hope that helps.

Ask a Question