Sour dough starter in no-knead bread

Reaction score
How do you used sour dough starter instead of active or dry yeast?
I have been making no-knead boules for some time but tried using a sour dough starter for the first time yesterday. I went with the same recipe but used about 1/2 cup sour dough starter instead of active yeast. After letting it rise for 14 hours I turned it out
on a heavily floured mat. The dough was extremely sticky and would not form into a boule even with a lot of extra flour. It baked low and flat and appeared to be underdone after the usual baking time, covered and uncovered. The taste was great.
What went wrong?

Reaction score
How do you used sour dough starter instead of active or dry yeast?
I have been making no-knead boules for some time but tried using a sour dough starter for the first time yesterday. I went with the same recipe but used about 1/2 cup sour dough starter instead of active yeast. After letting it rise for 14 hours I turned it out
on a heavily floured mat. The dough was extremely sticky and would not form into a boule even with a lot of extra flour. It baked low and flat and appeared to be underdone after the usual baking time, covered and uncovered. The taste was great.
What went wrong?

1 buy a scale. You cannot bake by volume

2. check out Weekend Bakery’s blog for some easy recipes.

3. Stop using flour. OK maybe not stop but use almost no flour. Learn how to use your bench scraper Biggest mistake novice bakers make is using a bunch of flour. Go over to Bake with Jack and look through his videos on kneading and shaping.

Also check out San Francisco Baking Institute video. Michel Suas the founder literally wrote the book on a baking.

Ask a Question