Sourdough Starter: Clarifying Confusing Information

J13

Reaction score
Day 11: smaller jar didn’t help. I think my starter hates me. I had such plans for it when it was just an active little 3 day starter—it would grow into a starter that would inflate and deflate and smell all sourdoughy...and once it matured, ah, the bread we’d make! We’d do such wonderful things together....but it just sits like a lump in its jar, ignoring me and playing video games. :( Did I overfeed it?

Reaction score
Day 11: smaller jar didn’t help. I think my starter hates me. I had such plans for it when it was just an active little 3 day starter—it would grow into a starter that would inflate and deflate and smell all sourdoughy...and once it matured, ah, the bread we’d make! We’d do such wonderful things together....but it just sits like a lump in its jar, ignoring me and playing video games. :( Did I overfeed it?

I didn’t want to say anything at the time, but the starter schedule with all the changes to ratios and flours sounded completely and unnecessarily complicated. Its not you. It’s whoever came up with that starter.

Perfect Loaf...

J13

Reaction score
I didn’t want to say anything at the time, but the starter schedule with all the changes to ratios and flours sounded completely and unnecessarily complicated. Its not you. It’s whoever came up with that starter.

Perfect Loaf...
Well, to be fair, it started out very regular with the same feeding ratio over and over again. The lack of activity happened before any changes....can I save what I have or do I need to start over?

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, it started out very regular with the same feeding ratio over and over again. The lack of activity happened before any changes....can I save what I have or do I need to start over?

Yes, but then all of those changes. That was very strange; I’ve never seen a starter go from simple to complex. Starter is very simple. Flour and water. The fact that your starter is doing nothing at this point is not a good sign. I would start over.

Reaction score

You don’t have to change the composition of the flours once the yeast develops. You only need to change the flours for a reason, such as gluten levels or flavor profiles. Changing the flours in an underdeveloped starter can be tricky. So a cookbook shouldn’t take a beginner through those complex steps. They just need to get a starter up and running.

Since the starter is not showing signs of life it might be a good idea to start over. :(.

J13

Reaction score
You don’t have to change the composition of the flours once the yeast develops. You only need to change the flours for a reason, such as gluten levels or flavor profiles. Changing the flours in an underdeveloped starter can be tricky. So a cookbook shouldn’t take a beginner through those complex steps. They just need to get a starter up and running.

Since the starter is not showing signs of life it might be a good idea to start over. :(.
Okay. Back to the drawing board....

Reaction score
Okay. Back to the drawing board....

Don’t be disheartened, bread is the most complex of all baked good. And we’ve all killed starters. I’ve killed more starters than I can count. But you will bring one to life @J13, I guarantee it!

J13

Reaction score
Don’t be disheartened, bread is the most complex of all baked good. And we’ve all killed starters. I’ve killed more starters than I can count. But you will bring one to life @J13, I guarantee it!
Thanks for the encouragement! And I think for Starter 2.0 I’ll start a new thread :D

Ask a Question