Sourdough newbie

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'd love to get some hints and tips on getting a good sourdough starter going. I've tried twice now and both have failed, and I'm not sure where I am going wrong.

Is there any specific type flour that makes for a better starter than others? Should I be using filtered water? And, in some sourdough starter recipes, I've seen the addition of grated apple, dried raisins and even fruit juice. Are any of these things really necessary, or should I just stick to flour and water?

Could anyone help please?

Reaction score
It is always easiest if you can get a starter for your sourdough from a friend or neighbor. My first starter came from my mother in law and it was over 50 yrs old. I have done starters from scratch and it was fairly easy. The key is to make sure the yeast you use in your starter is fresh and you leave it out on the counter long enough to bubble up. I just use regular all purpose flour and tap water to make mine. The additions go into the starter you are getting ready to use in your recipe, not in the original starter and always make sure you take out enough starter for your next project before you add anything. I make pancakes, muffins, coffee cakes, bread, ect from my starter. You can find all kinds of recipes on the web, and starter is also called Herman,, why? I have no idea!!

Reaction score
Yes, I've heard that it's better to get an already established starter, but nobody I know bakes their own bread, or even cakes, sadly. You must be quite proud of your very old starter (Herman!) - you've obviously looked after it well.

Thank you so much for the advice; I will definitely have another go and let you know how I get on.

Ask a Question