Sourdough starter too thick

Reaction score
Following this recipe

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe

Used this
12742266_1693065184304045_3196665975348609130_n.jpg

And it looks like this

12715228_1693065144304049_8166617537932109388_n.jpg

Figured maybe I shouldn't have used stone ground. So I bought this stuff and it's the same problem. Shouldn't it be more watery?

12729396_1693074567636440_3958134600551982908_n.jpg

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @jamesfarrell :)

Your post went into a moderation queue (probably because of the link) but I have approved it for you now. Sorry about that!

Flour really varies in terms of how dry it is and consequently how much water you need. With lots of bread recipes the author often tells you to add 'up to' an amount, because the amount that may work for one person may be different for another. It depends on the type of flour, how it is ground, how old it is, even things like the ambient temperature of your kitchen can affect it! Consequently when you need to add liquid to flour for a bread recipe, you may need to add less or more than the recipe specifies.

Try adding more water until it gets to the right consistency :)

Reaction score
What Becky said!
;)

Using whole grain flours can be tricky, as they aren't as refined as white flours. The more refined a flour, the less water it holds.

The less refined a flour, the more water it holds.

So if your starter should be liquid, and you are using a high end grain flour, then more water is usually needed.

Reaction score
mmm Sourdough Bread,i haven't had a loaf of home made in years sadly,the few times I tried it,it didn't work for me , so I have no advice

but welcome to the Forum :)

Reaction score
mmm Sourdough Bread,i haven't had a loaf of home made in years sadly,the few times I tried it,it didn't work for me , so I have no advice

You can do it!!!
Start off by making a small batch, or "half batch". You don't HAVE to make a loaf of bread, you can make rolls out of the dough!

Practice makes perfect......plus you get to eat all the mistakes!!!!:D

Reaction score
sour dough bread is great,my friends wife has a great starter recipe that she use to use,I will have to ask her about it

i know she used instant mashed potatoes to feed it ,the best I can remember :)

Reaction score

Bravo to you for trying. I see the word and it drives fear into my heart. I have the greatest respect for anyone will even attempt it.

Reaction score
you can do it bella,do like I do,just keep trying till a recipe comes out the way you want it to :)

Reaction score
I have had great luck with the King Arthur recipe except that it always comes out to moist. Should I cut back on the amount of starter I am using. I know for a fact I never used 1 cup of starter. More like a tablespoon under 2 cups.

Reaction score
I have had great luck with the King Arthur recipe except that it always comes out to moist. Should I cut back on the amount of starter I am using. I know for a fact I never used 1 cup of starter. More like a tablespoon under 2 cups.

Welcome to the forum! :)

When it comes to bread recipes, you'll find the amount of liquid specified is more of a guide. Flour can vary so much from region to region, and different flours absorb different amounts of liquid. Just add enough liquid to get the right dough consistency, you don't necessarily need to add it all.

Reaction score
I'm also giving it a go. I've started getting confident in my bread making abilities and I sort of view sour dough as my Everest at the moment.
In the research I've done it seems sour dough should be a highly hydrated dough, right? So wet and sticky right through the process?
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
T

Ask a Question