Southern Biscuits

Reaction score
As a Southerner I wonder about where Biscuits fit into the forum. I'm not talking about beaten biscuits, but rather those nice fluffy Southern drop biscuits made with good Tennessee flour (Martha White or White Lilly) some lard, and Baking powder, with a little water or buttermilk, Serve with sausage gravy or butter and molasses or honey.

Reaction score
Until recently I didn't know what these were - here in the UK, a biscuit is a hard flat and dense. From what I understand, they are similar to what we call scones - and in a similar way, they can be either savoury or sweet.

I suppose the best place would be the 'Cookies and Biscuits' section :)

Reaction score
You just described a delicious southern breakfast! I absolutely love biscuits with sausage gravy on them! I like to make my own homemade gravy but if I don't have the time I will use a gravy packet, mainly the Pioneer brand, they are delicious!

Reaction score
This is how biscuits are made. I grew up in the south. My biscuits were made the same way. These southern biscuits were edible for breakfast.

Reaction score
You just described a delicious southern breakfast! I absolutely love biscuits with sausage gravy on them! I like to make my own homemade gravy but if I don't have the time I will use a gravy packet, mainly the Pioneer brand, they are delicious!
My father always said "squirrel gravy", but when he went to school in Florida in the 1930s he had to carry a gun to the bus stop because he was the furthest from the bus stop and had to meet the other kids on the way to the bus, a hike of several miles through the woods. I have often used the Pioneer brand myself. Southern Biscuits are not flavored, except for buttermilk. The scones I am familiar with are more like what we call cookies. A good Southern drop biscuit is very light and fluffy. Great for sopping up gravy.

Reaction score
They're the best! The secret to a good biscuit is tonnes of butter/lard/shortening and to layer thin sheets of dough on top of each other. These layers are what will give you the unique flakiness everybody wants in their biscuits. It doesn't hurt to be a tad generous with the salt, either.

Reaction score
Drop biscuits (which are not layered) are so soft and really perfect for sopping or covering with gravy...... The flaky biscuits are good too, and are probably big up north or in California. Use a flour with more gluten than White Lily or Martha White. Layered biscuits need to be tougher.

Last edited:

Ask a Question