Soy Lecithin in Waffle Batter

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I would like to add some soy lecithin powder to my waffle batter in order to extend the freshness and stability of the batter. At which step should I add soy lecithin? After batter is done? Or I should dissolve it in liquid ingredient first? And how much should I add? Please advise!!

Thank you!!

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I would like to add some soy lecithin powder to my waffle batter in order to extend the freshness and stability of the batter. At which step should I add soy lecithin? After batter is done? Or I should dissolve it in liquid ingredient first? And how much should I add? Please advise!!

Thank you!!

Home cooks and bakers tend to romanticize commercial ingredients without understanding what they are used for.

Soy lecithin won’t do anything for your small homemade waffles batches. The reason it’s added to commercial batter is because the batches of batter mixed are massive and it acts as an emulsifier to keep the batter smooth and from separating as its pumped through an injection system into molds and baked. Then once frozen, the product may not be consumed for months.

So unless you are mixing massive batches of say 60qt + batter that needs to kept from separating as you pump it through an injection mold system to bake your waffles, then there is no benefit of soy lecithin for your batter.

Ask a Question