Soylent Green is coming !

Would you drink a product named Soylent ?

• Yes, it is healthy

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No ! I remember the movie, and I won't touch the stuff !

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I was watching the news on Fox TV yesterday, and one of the articles was about a new supplemental food made from soybeans and lentils, as yes, they DID name it Soylent. It is a green high protein powder that can be mixed with milk or juice and consumed.
I remember watching the old Charleron Heston movie Soylent Green, years and years ago. It made such a stir even at that time, that it has become one of those legendary movies, even though it was not that great of a movie when it was made, it was just that the topic was so controversial.

Now, it appears, it is at least partially becoming a reality. While Soylent may very well be a fine and healthy product, I certainly wish that they had chosen a different name for it, and I wonder how this will affect the sales of the supplement ?

Does anyone else remember seeing the movie , and what is your opinion of this product ?

Reaction score
I think they chose the name Soylent because it combines the words soy and lentils. It is kind of a weird name, but at least the product isn't made of people.
I doubt the 20 year olds buying this product would even remember the movie.
I can always use a nutritional boost so I might buy the product but I agree that people who remember the movie will find the name off putting.

Reaction score
I know I'd be turned off by the name, but maybe they're banking on science fiction fans buying it to shock people with. If they come out with a green-tinted product I'd know it was deliberate.

Reaction score
I would never buy it and now that I've been reminded of the movie, I keep picturing those bulldozers scooping up the people. What a horrible marketing strategy, though if their demographic are people in their twenties then I guess it wouldn't matter.

Reaction score
I would never buy it and now that I've been reminded of the movie, I keep picturing those bulldozers scooping up the people. What a horrible marketing strategy, though if their demographic are people in their twenties then I guess it wouldn't matter.

Right, I'm 38 so I get the movie reference, but I don't think the 20 year olds that are the target audience for this supplement are going to understand the double meaning of Soylent. They'll probably just think it's a shortened version of "soy" and "lentils".

Science fiction nerds will probably be into it. I can see them selling tons of it at Comic Con.

Reaction score
My Sociology professor brought in an old copy if this movie to be viewed by the class. I do see soy product becoming more and more popular these days. Would never buy anything called soylent green I am not it to cannibalism.

Reaction score
I'm 36 and I have no idea what movie you are talking about! Of course, now you've piqued my interest and I will have to look it up! As for the new supplement, it sounds like it could be beneficial!

Ask a Question