Spaetzle - aka Austrian dumplings / noodles

Reaction score
I made some spaetzle this week to accompany beef goulash, and it was really delicious. Spaetzle (or Spätzle) are a type of egg noodle / dumpling that is popular in Germany, Austria, etc. We've had it before at German markets here in the UK, so I was keen to try it myself.

Basically you make a dough from plain flour, eggs, milk and salt, and leave it to rest in the fridge for 30 mins. Then you set a colander over a pan of boiling water and push the dough through it into the water below. The little dumplings cook in about 2 minutes, so once they float to the top you scoop them out.

In practice it was pretty difficult to push the dough through the colander, so I have bought a spaetzle maker from Amazon that I'm looking forward to using.

Once the spaetzle are cooked you fry them in butter and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Delicious! :D

20170214_194045.jpg

Next time we are going to make kaesespaetzle which is like mac & cheese but made with spaetzle instead of pasta.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I am happy to confirm that this was super tasty :D.

Reaction score
That looks super amazing! Just wondering are Spatzle expensive in the UK?

I've never seen ready made stuff in the shops so I wouldn't know. Making it from scratch just involves very cheap ingredients, and the spaetzle maker itself was less than £10, so it hasn't cost much :)

Reaction score
Okay, I'll try making these myself! They really look amazing and less than 10 pounds sounds reasonable enough :)

Ask a Question