Sponge cake sinks at centre

Reaction score
Hi Friends, I am novice and trying my hands on baking basic Victoria sponge cake. Ingredients (a) 2 eggs (b) 75gm butter (c) 2TSP Flour(d) 2 pinch Baking powder. Dint use sugar coz of restrictions. Whipped egg whites separately and the combined all ingredients, baked at 170 degree C for 20 min, after 10min of baking cake had domes at center but later during baking only collapsed, the oven door was not opened during the process. The cake other wise if soft and tasty, internal structure kind of looks okay to me. I have read other threads and chefs tips but still what happened you can see in attached image, plz tell where can i improve.

Attachments

• sp1.JPG
    sp1.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 402
  • sp2.JPG
    sp2.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 409
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Wow, that's a weird recipe. 2 teaspoons of flour and no sugar? To be honest I'm impressed at what you have achieved! Sponge cakes which have whipped egg whites as their main raising agent tend to sink a little in the middle once they are out of the oven.

Is there a reason you want to make a cake with so little flour?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)
Is there a reason you want to make a cake with so little flour?
If I put more Flour, the batter gets heavy and pushes out the air, I tried one more batch with no Baking powder and 75gm of eggs, flour and oil, again no sugar and you can see the attached image (this time baked at 160C). It dint sink too much, domed during baking but before time was over it leveled. The structure is a bit first, earlier one looked more of a giant Omelette. Someone told me my oven was culprit so I bought another new oven but results were same! Can we contain the irregular pattern/crack at the top or its normal with this kind of recipe( I see there is rise in first 5 min like a dome and the crack appears here only).

Attachments

• ck.JPG
    ck.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 407
  • ck2.JPG
    ck2.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 415
Reaction score
I wish I could help @uziel but this is the reason I stay away from sponge cake. Because I really like it I thought it was easy but every time I see people encountering problems. I applaud you for your efforts though. You are much braver than I am. I just pulled this from Google. "Remember to add your baking powder next time. If you've chosen a complicated recipe, swap it for something simpler like a classic chocolate sponge. Make sure your baking tin is the right size - if it's too big the mixture won't rise enough to fill it. And last but not least, don't over whisk your mix.Apr 20, 2016"

Reaction score
Ah ok, so it's not necessary a requirement that the flour content is low (ie it's not to avoid gluten or anything). Are you just trying to bake a sugar free cake? Like I said, that is a very odd recipe so I'm just trying to understand whether you need to make it work somehow, or if we can suggest an alternative. If the latter, then we need to know the parameters - ie does it just need to be sugar free? Can it contain fllour? Can it contain sweeteners?

Reaction score
Ah ok, so it's not necessary a requirement that the flour content is low (ie it's not to avoid gluten or anything). Are you just trying to bake a sugar free cake? Like I said, that is a very odd recipe so I'm just trying to understand whether you need to make it work somehow, or if we can suggest an alternative. If the latter, then we need to know the parameters - ie does it just need to be sugar free? Can it contain fllour? Can it contain sweeteners?
I need a recipe that I can make with flour, oil and baking soda/powder. So may be just like a bread with flour, yeast and shortening. Due to health issue i have very limited items that i can add. so only if this 3 can suffice, it will be great.

Ask a Question